The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 01:22 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spey Line recommendation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post

I just ordered a 10 wt shooting head and I'll get an 11 wt for the Spey Rod when I get a round Tu-It.
Make sure that your shooting heads are heavy enough. I never trust the line weight rating. The grain weight measurement for the head length is what matters. For 10 weight Spey rods, the minimum AFFTA standard is 510 grains.

Dennis
Old 11-11-2012, 02:28 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dan.

Fred
Old 11-12-2012, 12:43 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I got an email from Trevor Morgan. He said he can do paypal. For some reason they don't do banktransfer between here and there. He also doesn't do credit cards. I told him that if someone from the forum wanted one, and didn't have a paypal account, I could have you send me a check and I'll pay with my paypal account and he can send the line straight to you. I want the lines to do well so I can still get them in the future. You guys can get the lines. Win win.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:32 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Make sure that your shooting heads are heavy enough. I never trust the line weight rating. The grain weight measurement for the head length is what matters. For 10 weight Spey rods, the minimum AFFTA standard is 510 grains.

Dennis
Okay Dennis, I appreciate the technical specifications. So the Spey is a 10/11 weight, and I'll get an 11 weight. I don't think the FlexTec Rod would be described as "fast action".

So in the larger rods, my current inventory is as follows:

The actual Spey (2-handed) a 10/11 weight and 15' long.
(needing a Shooting Head at, or greater than 510 grains)
this is the one, that I will probably supply with the Diver Dan Recommended line, but not right away, since the Float Tube season is virtually over.

a 10 weight rod (TFO), for which I (ordered yesterday) a shooting head
(Scientific Anglers....no grain data given)

a 9 weight (having a Weight Forward Full Sinking line)

That is my inventory currently
Old 11-12-2012, 11:45 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Dennis
Dennis: I don't know the grain weight of the Scientific Anglers line I got, but if it isn't up to 510, I'll get another one.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Brucer,
I have the line books for Scientific Anglers. What is the exact line do you have? If I can get the exact line, I'll tell you what it weighs.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:26 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Dennis
Just to add to what MP's said above, the 510 is the MINIMUM number of grains. But that's just for a shooting head so decide what what kind of line you want and go from there. Both RIO and AirFlo have on line recommendations for almost any 2hander out there. As an example a 510 would just be a light Skagit that probably would even load a 10/11 weight rod.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Banned

You could call the Red Shed fly shop. The guy that owns that knows the grain window of everything and what every line on the planet weighs. Give him a call. He probably has at least as good a deal on the line as anywhere else to.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:36 PM

Talking Re: Spey Line recommendation?

+1 to DD's comment above. Poppy is a 'one off' when it comes to 2handers. And on December 25th, he's in high demand. I'll let you work that one out for yourself.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Brucer,
I have the line books for Scientific Anglers. What is the exact line do you have? If I can get the exact line, I'll tell you what it weighs.
1 of 32-1032 SA SHOOTING HEAD FLY LINE TYPE IV 10WT @ $32.95 each

Thanks Dan