The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 04:00 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spey Line recommendation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Dan I may be having a Sr. Moment here but can't find a word on what lines they sell, price, spec's, etc. Lots of YaYa's about "the line," but no real info beyond the sales pitch. What am I missing?

Fred
Hey Fred, I found a new link:
Trevor Morgan Javelin Spey Fly Lines
Old 12-01-2012, 07:50 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Steve Godshall is the line Guru in the USA.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:33 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Spey Line recommendation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
Steve Godshall is the line Guru in the USA.
Now there's the understatement for the year! Have several of my rods lined with Steve's Custom Cuts (he's located here in Medford, Oregon). At a local 'mimi-'Clave' this past September and he was doing line building demo's.

Asked him how his side line (he's retired) was going. At that point he said he'd already made over 1,000 heads/lines this year. So much for 'retirement.'

:>)

Thanks for the link Dan.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:47 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Just to add to what MP's said above, the 510 is the MINIMUM number of grains. But that's just for a shooting head so decide what what kind of line you want and go from there. Both RIO and AirFlo have on line recommendations for almost any 2hander out there. As an example a 510 would just be a light Skagit that probably would even load a 10/11 weight rod.
To add to this, I have a 600 grain skagit line on my deer creek 13'6 8/9wt. I would think that you would want a heavier grain weight, but this is just my assumption. Here are some charts from rio http://www.rioproducts.com/skin/summ..._Line_Recs.pdf
Old 12-01-2012, 08:58 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Gentleman's correct in his observation. As a over generalization a Skagit head will be the shortest and normally the heaviest of the head systems. Then the Scandi's then the intermediate long bellies, then the long bellies for a given rod weight. One of the underlying reasons for this is the choice of terminal tackle that's going on the business end of the fly line.

fae