Spey Line recommendation?

brucerducer

Reaction score
Need some good counsel on what Line to put on this. Perhaps I can make do with 10 weight.

Flextec Speycaster Salmon Double Handed Fly Rod 15ft 10/11

Mostly, I intend to use this Float-Tubing reservoirs for Wipers in the 10 to 20 pound range.

I was thinking of getting a Full Sinking line, as the spring fishing will involve, as I understand it, about a 30' depth. Not sure on what is best though.

I have only learned so little about the Spey Lines. Eventually, will I need a Floating Line?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Trying to make a cast with a two handed rod out of a float tube is rather difficult. It is tricky enough with a floating line. It is very difficult with a sinking shooting head.

Trying to land a fish with a two handed rod out of a float tube with a 15 foot rod is extremely difficult.

One of the issues of line selection is having a head that is heavy enough to load the long rod, but it also has to be short enough for you to manage. According to the AFFTA Spey Standards Chart on the Rio website, you will need a minimum head weight of 510 grains. A 30 foot T17 head would be minimum. Make sure to use some sort of monofilament running line for a good sink.

You would probably enjoy yourself more with a nine foot rod and a 30 foot head.

Dennis

brucerducer

Reaction score
"You would probably enjoy yourself more with a nine foot rod and a 30 foot head."-----Dennis

Well Dennis, I have that on order also.

I can always hold off on consideration of the Spey Rod. I got it for 100 bucks, so no big deal.

So you are saying that I can use a a 9 weight (or 10) and some sort of.....
(shooting head?) or something like that?

This is good advice, and I appreciate it.

Perhaps, I can use the Spey Rod wading in shallows then; but I definitely want this float tube.

In some of the reservoirs, access from land is impossible, involving hauling large amounts of gear for a mile or so, just to get to where wading can be done.

I will continue looking into both then, with an emphasis on the 9 wt/10 wt class of rod. Thank you! :wavetowel

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Diver Dan can probably give you better info on using the big rod since he uses one on a regular basis. It can be a useful tool with a floating line from the bank or wading in the shallows.

Dennis

brucerducer

Reaction score

I just ordered a 10 wt shooting head and I'll get an 11 wt for the Spey Rod when I get a round Tu-It.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I've got a Trevor Morgan 10/11wt. line on my 15' 10/11 and can hit 140' repeatedly with it. I love that line.
I found a link here;
Trevor Morgan FlyFishing - Exclusive Javelin ® Fly Line
I'd rethink the float tube thing though. That's not going to be a good combo. I can't say enough good things about that line though. They are freakin awsome.
Dan I may be having a Sr. Moment here but can't find a word on what lines they sell, price, spec's, etc. Lots of YaYa's about "the line," but no real info beyond the sales pitch. What am I missing?

Fred

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I'm not sure, I'll see if I can find a better spot. I do love the lines. That 140' claim is no exageration either. I fish under the railroad bridge a lot. It has 30 sections with a steel I beam X in the middle.

I look where I am in relation to the section I'm under then It's just a matter of adding. I am usually right about 135' - 140' to just shy of whacking the first piling. By the way, I hit it so hard with a clouser one time it flattened the bottom of the eyes. :D

I have been casting this line hard a lot for at least three years now and it seems to be in as good a shape as when I got it. I also hook bottom there fairly frequently and cast past and then pull it off away from me. If it doesn't pull off that way, I just tug till I get the fly or bust it off. I use fairly heavy tippet alot so it's not like this line is having an easy life. It is hanging in there just fine. :thumbsup:

I just sent him an e-mail. I'll let you know what he says.

Contact him direct to get them. Here at this spot on the website;
http://www.trevor-morgan.net/contact.html

£88 ($139) for the #9/10 or #10/11 Javelin Floating and Sinking Spey. The lines arrive with a special line cleaner and a bag designed to be used as a very useful reel-spool holder.

Last edited:

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I got an email from Trevor Morgan. He said he can do paypal. For some reason they don't do banktransfer between here and there. He also doesn't do credit cards. I told him that if someone from the forum wanted one, and didn't have a paypal account, I could have you send me a check and I'll pay with my paypal account and he can send the line straight to you. I want the lines to do well so I can still get them in the future. You guys can get the lines. Win win.

brucerducer

Reaction score
Make sure that your shooting heads are heavy enough. I never trust the line weight rating. The grain weight measurement for the head length is what matters. For 10 weight Spey rods, the minimum AFFTA standard is 510 grains.

Dennis
Okay Dennis, I appreciate the technical specifications. So the Spey is a 10/11 weight, and I'll get an 11 weight. I don't think the FlexTec Rod would be described as "fast action".

So in the larger rods, my current inventory is as follows:

The actual Spey (2-handed) a 10/11 weight and 15' long.
(needing a Shooting Head at, or greater than 510 grains)
this is the one, that I will probably supply with the Diver Dan Recommended line, but not right away, since the Float Tube season is virtually over.

a 10 weight rod (TFO), for which I (ordered yesterday) a shooting head
(Scientific Anglers....no grain data given)

a 9 weight (having a Weight Forward Full Sinking line)

That is my inventory currently

brucerducer

Reaction score
Make sure that your shooting heads are heavy enough. I never trust the line weight rating. The grain weight measurement for the head length is what matters. For 10 weight Spey rods, the minimum AFFTA standard is 510 grains.

Dennis
Dennis: I don't know the grain weight of the Scientific Anglers line I got, but if it isn't up to 510, I'll get another one.:icon_wink

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Dennis
Just to add to what MP's said above, the 510 is the MINIMUM number of grains. But that's just for a shooting head so decide what what kind of line you want and go from there. Both RIO and AirFlo have on line recommendations for almost any 2hander out there. As an example a 510 would just be a light Skagit that probably would even load a 10/11 weight rod.

brucerducer

Reaction score
Brucer,
I have the line books for Scientific Anglers. What is the exact line do you have? If I can get the exact line, I'll tell you what it weighs.
1 of 32-1032 SA SHOOTING HEAD FLY LINE TYPE IV 10WT @ $32.95 each

Thanks Dan