The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 11:39 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default Re: what weight spey line

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Are you planning to use the "switch" line in a overhead capacity or spey casts?
Spey cast.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:56 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'd check out the Speydicator line. Supposedly it'll do both fairly well and while the line is designed to chuck indy rigs and heavy flies I bet it would rocket a bass bug or big leech pattern. Figuring out lines to use on switch rods can either be pretty fun or a nightmare. Some rods like the first edition Batson switch rods were very close to a single hand rating where your's is off the mark like alot of others are too.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:51 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post
I purchased an 11' Wright-McGill rod last summer and found the rating on the rod was way off. It said 5wt, but the "common cents" method gave me a rating of 11wt.
I spoke with Steve Godshall and he suggested a 525gr short head, which seems to be close.
I tried a wf11f line on the rod and it does well for overhead casting, but I think a wf10f would also work fine.

I'm thinking of buying a regular spey line to try since I'd like a longer head.

Would an 8wt spey be somewhere close?
I bought a un marked 8/9 spey at a smi-local shop that was going out of business and it said spey 13' 6" 8/9 on it. I took my 9wt airflo on it and it overloaded the rod. I put a shooting head on it and viola worked like a champ. Keep your eyes peeled to sierra trading post thats where the shooting head came from for the wopping price of $19.95 .
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Got the inexpensive line yesterday. It was marked 8wt spey but a look at it had me doubting that's what it is. Looks a lot like a wf8f 2 color line to me.
Horrible weather here yesterday (falling temperatures and rain), but I took my RIO short head and running line off the spool and put on the new line. Not even close to filling the spool.

Put the reel on the 11' W/M rod and went to the lake. Way too light for that rod! Not even enough weight for an overhead cast.

Came home and stuck the reel (and line) on my Sage (896RP) 9'6" 8wt and it really worked fine on that rod. At least the line wasn't a total waste of money.

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

Decided to try a Rio 8/9 switch line next.
The rod does a fair job with a Rio short Skagit 525gr head but seems to be a bit overloaded if anything. I'm a complete newby to two handed (spey) casting, so that assessment is just a SWAG.
The Rio 8/9 is 460gr at the color change (40') so I'm guessing it might be somewhere close to what I need for that rod.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:36 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

"The rod does a fair job with a Rio short Skagit 525gr head but seems to be a bit overloaded if anything. I'm a complete newby to two handed (spey) casting, so that assessment is just a SWAG."

You could well be right. A given weight in grains done as a Skagit might just be fine, but you run the same weight out to a Scandi or mid-belly and the the rod/cast just feels 'all wrong.' (Sluggish to cast.)

Have a 'new' (one of the originals) Sage 7136-4 GIII's and trying to match that up with a line (that I already have) has been a pain in the fanny. Apparently the rod will 'line up' beautifully with a AirFlo Delta 7/8 but really don't want to shell out $90.00 if I don't have to .....

fae