The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 07:15 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default what weight spey line

I purchased an 11' Wright-McGill rod last summer and found the rating on the rod was way off. It said 5wt, but the "common cents" method gave me a rating of 11wt.
I spoke with Steve Godshall and he suggested a 525gr short head, which seems to be close.
I tried a wf11f line on the rod and it does well for overhead casting, but I think a wf10f would also work fine.

I'm thinking of buying a regular spey line to try since I'd like a longer head.

Would an 8wt spey be somewhere close?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:49 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: what weight spey line

The only way to be 100% positive you're getting a line that fits the rod and your casting is call Mike aka Poppy at redshedflyshop.com and have him send you a couple lines to try out. The longest line I would fish from an 11 footer is 30' anything longer and it negates the ease of two handed casting. The longer the head the lighter I like to go but that's me though your mileage may vary.
Guest1, fredaevans and bugslinger like this.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:42 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Also, call the folks at Rio. They might know.

Randy
Old 12-06-2012, 12:53 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post
I purchased an 11' Wright-McGill rod last summer and found the rating on the rod was way off. It said 5wt, but the "common cents" method gave me a rating of 11wt.
I spoke with Steve Godshall and he suggested a 525gr short head, which seems to be close.
I tried a wf11f line on the rod and it does well for overhead casting, but I think a wf10f would also work fine.

I'm thinking of buying a regular spey line to try since I'd like a longer head.

Would an 8wt spey be somewhere close?
On a 5wt 525 would be a lot of grains 'EXCEPT' for a short skagit head. As an example I have a 11 foot 6/7 (lined with one of Steve's beautiful custom cuts) and its a 27'5" scandi at 430. That said, with a Skagit you can be upwards 100 grains heavier on a given rod. It's that 'short mass' that rips a sink tip out of the water.

All be it a full on sink tip had better be pretty darned light with that light a rod. With my the rod described above I use either a sinking poly leader (any one you want) or one of Joni's sinking furled leaders.

fae
Old 12-06-2012, 05:43 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Found an inexpensive "7/8 Switch line" on eBay (new line - $20 shipped) so I ordered one. No idea what I'm getting as far as head length, but it's worth a try at that price.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:14 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Mike, I'm not going to read through all this again, but you purchased a '5wt rod.' Will this new purchase over load the rod? A dozen casts will tell you that. Line goes out but the 'leader' ends up in a heap.

You just dropped a few bucks.

fae
Old 12-06-2012, 07:42 PM

One thing I was trying to point out is that the rod is mis-labeled! It says 5wt, but for a WF line it takes a 10 or 11 wt line to load the rod. I tried an 8wt (WF8F) line and it wasn't heavy enough.
My best guess is that it's somewhere close to an 7/8wt spey since it requires about 3 sizes heavier (10/11) for overhead casting.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:21 AM

Mike 1handers and 2handers have a totally different rod weight/line weight set of designations. You can take that one step further in that the 'spey line' you'd use for over head casting won't be the same (one step lighter if memory serves) than you'd use for water loaded anchor casting.

End game is take a look at the AFTMA line weight chart (grains) for a single hander and ditto for a two hander. 'Both' rods rated as a '5wt' for jollies. The two hander will be far heavier than the other. Its a rod construction thing.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:07 AM

I understand that 1 & 2 hand rods are rated differently.

What it really boils down to is that the "rule of thumb" for substituting one type line for the other (single hand/spey) I have heard really doesn't seem to apply to this rod.
I have always heard that a line sized for a single hand rod would need to be roughly 3 weights heavier than a switch/spey rating to work with the 2 hand rod.
In my case I bought a rod labeled 5wt, so I figured an 8 wt (WF8F) should be close to matching up with the rod for overhead casts but it wasn't.
When I used the "common cents" method of finding rod weight it came out to 11wt, and an 11wt line did indeed cast well (overhead) on the rod!
So using the same "rule of thumb" but in reverse (single hand weight of 11 minus 3 = 8 wt spey) I'm in hopes an 8wt "switch" line will work.

Guess it's really just a matter of trying the line when it gets here and adjust accordingly if needed. Not trying to be argumentative or difficult, just a bit of frustration in trying to figure this rod out.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:09 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Are you planning to use the "switch" line in a overhead capacity or spey casts?