The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 01:24 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Question Spey casting shooting heads AND a stripping basket.

Saw a quick passing reference to this in another thread and my first thought was I don't recall ever seeing (or doing for that matter) one. Anyone recall a 2hander guy with one of these strapped around his middle?
Old 12-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spey casting shooting heads AND a stripping basket.

Just me, but not with shooting heads. Randy did make it sound like he did though, didn't he.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:54 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I do all the time...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-22-2012, 12:03 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
I do all the time...
Interesting! Thing get in the way of your lower casting hand/reel/etc?
Old 12-22-2012, 12:21 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to see how you rig it sandfly.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:42 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Yes, I use a stripping basket with my Scandi heads, but I couldn't use my Orvis stripping basket, as I needed a smaller one I could wear on my hip (my side), so I ended buying the prongs/cones from Fly Fishing Gear - Burleson Sporting Co., and then I built my own basket.

The prongs cause some friction, so it slightly diminishes the length of my casts, but it makes handling my shooting line so much easier.

Randy
Old 12-22-2012, 12:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
The prongs cause some friction, so it slightly diminishes the length of my casts, but it makes handling my shooting line so much easier.

Randy
I use weed whacker loops and it does not seem to reduce my distance at all. What do the prongs look like in your basket? Do you have a photo?