The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/spey-fly-lines-other-spey-tackle/)
-   -   Furled Leaders for Spey (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/spey-fly-lines-other-spey-tackle/327624-furled-leaders-spey.html)

caberguy 08-09-2013 10:52 AM

Furled Leaders for Spey

I use furled leaders on all my single handed rods. I'm thinking I ought to continue the trend with my Spey. How long should it be? I've got a 13' rod with the SA Skagit Extreme integrated with a 15' sink tip (it has a 25' head). How long of a leader would work well with that? I'm thinking 9-10' with a further 3-4' tippet. But I may be way off. Will I be able to turn over 15' of sink tip and 13' of leader, that seems like an awful lot... still trying to figure this out.

What say you?

fredaevans 08-09-2013 01:03 PM

Re: Furled Leaders for Spey

No disrespect to others Talk/correspond with Joni/Joan. Her 'stuff' is magic.

fae

MoscaPescador 08-09-2013 02:28 PM

Aren't you defeating the purpose of the sink tip by adding a furled leader?

The goal of using a sink tip is to get the fly to depth. By adding more leader, the fly will most likely ride higher than the tip of the line.

The norm is to have a foot long butt section followed with three to four feet of tippet material.

Dennis

caberguy 08-09-2013 02:40 PM

See, this why I'm asking (one of the reasons anyway). So just like 1x tippet after the sink tip? Or some12-15lb line, followed be tippet.

CutThroat Leaders 08-09-2013 04:46 PM

caberguy,

Our finding. For long rods 12'-0" plus, we found no benefit in casting using a longer than a 10'-0" leader. These are for swinging or skating flies. Floating line. With guys that are much better spey casters than myself, they normally tested our leaders with 6'-8' of tippet. Normally 8-12lb maxima.

On sinking heads, we use a 36" dredger leader. We offer three tippet ends, ring, loop and swivel. I like the swivel because with spey, you can get very long drifts. With a long the drift, the more chance of having your fly affected by current and cause line twist in your tippet. The swivel helps with this.

We also offer reinforced spey leaders. These leaders have a breaking strength of 30 lbs plus.

One major benefit of thread / reinforced leaders is that you can adjust the amount of stick by applying floatant. We tell first time users to apply floatant to the upper third of a long leader. Then after some time is spent using the leader, the user can either treat more or less of the leader to accomplish their specific desired result. Yes, you could apply floatant to any leader, but the floatant will not adhere / stick to standard poly leaders so well.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to email me at:
mike@cutthroatleader.com

Belwow is from of our customers.. biggest fish I know of so far on one of our leaders.

Thanks
Mike,

The 35 lb (according to guide Pat on right) salmon was caught on the Grand Cascapedia in Quebec Canada using an 8 weight Loomis rod along with a 9' Reinforced Spey Leader from Cutthroat Leader Co. a 10 lb tippet and also a Green Bomber (dry fly). The salmon made some spectacular leaps and runs in some very fast water and the leader did not fail (what else can I say).

Thanks, Ray

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...y-b-salmon.jpg

fredaevans 08-09-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 580560)
Aren't you defeating the purpose of the sink tip by adding a furled leader?

The goal of using a sink tip is to get the fly to depth. By adding more leader, the fly will most likely ride higher than the tip of the line.

The norm is to have a foot long butt section followed with three to four feet of tippet material.

Dennis

Not if you're useing a very short one off a sink tip. Fly just 'wiggles' around in the water behind.

roguebum 08-14-2013 12:16 PM

I agree with Fred on this one. The sink tip should pull your tippet down to the water column your looking for, then the current will do the rest when it comes to leveling out the fly (assuming your fly isn't some type of floating foam beast). If your fly is floating up to the surface with a sink tip then you have some real buoyancy issues.

Sometimes I like to put a longer tippet (6' or so) on my sink tips in really clear water just to make sure that spooking isn't an option. It probably doesn't do anything but it makes me feel better inside. :grin:

fredaevans 08-14-2013 12:41 PM

Only add one tiny thought to RB's coment above. You're using a sink tip, use a weighted fly if you're using more than a couple of feet of leader off the end. Water pressure will try to force the whole thing up to the surface, so once you've gone through the first 1/4'ish of the 'swing' the line (water pressure) is trying to force same 'up.'

fae

glcaddis 08-15-2013 05:13 PM

So a dredger with a sink tip and longer leader with a floating tip. Makes sense, my question or concern is with longer rods, the recommendation seems to be, "leader at least as long as the rod." How does that stack up with furled leaders?

fredaevans 08-15-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glcaddis (Post 582253)
So a dredger with a sink tip and longer leader with a floating tip. Makes sense, my question or concern is with longer rods, the recommendation seems to be, "leader at least as long as the rod." How does that stack up with furled leaders?

NO! If you're using any kind of 'sink tip' you want a short leader! (2 - 3 feet at most.) Even if you're using a weighted fly water pressure will force thing 'up.' Simple 'hydraulics.'

Even with a heavy fly off the end of a 'dry line leader' you'll have the fly pop to the surface at the end of a drift. Well, maybe not a feather brick, but even that won't be that far under water the last 1/4'ish of your drift.

Just trust me on this one. Other folks may "agree to disagree," and I'd like to 'agree' with them, but then both of us would be wrong.

As to 'Furled Leaders' they're the 'Cat's meow' for a floating head like a Scandi (never tried one on a full on floater). The things are built with a 'rod weight' in mind, not 'one size only.' Takes a tiny bit of adjusting with your cast (SLOOOOOW DOWN!) but they lay out like a yardstick at the end of your cast. 3-4 foot of regular mono leader off the tippet ring and you're in business. You can (at least I can) get them in 'full float,' intermedite sink and (over stated) full sink (those you have to 'goop up.') But for intermediate/low water conditions ..... SO YES.

fae

fae