The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 09:23 AM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Making Welded Loops In Spey Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Redshed Fly Shop has the tubing you want and if you need a heat gun, they do have a whole kit. You may save a few bucks buying ala carte but you can get what you need in one shot. Great shop for tying materials too btw, excellent customer service.
The Red Shed is the shop I was referring to; wasn't sure if I was allowed to name the shop. Poppy has the complete kit and that is what I use. Works very well. And there is no one better to deal with than Poppy.
fredaevans and jaybo41 like this.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:48 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug View Post
The Red Shed is the shop I was referring to; wasn't sure if I was allowed to name the shop. Poppy has the complete kit and that is what I use. Works very well. And there is no one better to deal with than Poppy.
Poppy is super to deal with. I have added them to my rotation of shops to order from. He's got some stuff that is hard to find in these parts. I am amazed how quickly I receive orders considering I'm in PA and he's in ID. Their service and communication is superb.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:39 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Thanks coug I'll have to buy a Kit as I find The Method I use only lasts 1 or 2 seasons.
Even though I've watched The Videos on it I still do The Join & Bind method.
Brian
Old 09-04-2013, 11:42 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

I weld lines a lot. I use 2:1 shrink tubing material, make sure its adhesive-free. Some brands have adhesive in it, no good, messes with the weld and the melting point. I've found grainger has a nice selection of shrink, afterall its a big player in electrician supply, much better than say..home depot.

When it comes to heating the tubing don't use a standard ciggarette lighter, you can, but its a very un-even distribution of heat. The best thing is a heat gun, most line manufacturers use them to make thier line welds. You can get a heat gun for $60 at home depot. This gun gives such an amazingly-even distribution of heat to the tubing and doesn't scorch it like a ciggarette lighter can.

If you cant buy a heat gun, the next best thing is some kind of butane lighter, or small blow-torch. This will heat evenly, much better than standard lighter. You will have to pay good attention to not burn and scorch the shrink tube with this, but it can work very well. Before I had a heat gun I used a butane lighter and pulled off many factory-looking welds.

There are a number of techniques for line welds, and I use a two different kinds myself. Explaining them will require an essay so I wont write it here, but if somone wants details I will PM what I know. Maybe I'll post some pics of welds I did.

For spey running lines, if it has a small front loop I cut it off and then weld what I call a "quick change loop" This is a 6-9 inch long loop so you can put the whole coiled shooting head through for your loop-to-loop connection. Rio and Airflo do this to thier running lines out of the factory.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:47 PM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

I don't have a Grainger nearby that I know of, but I do have a Home Depot & Lowes to go scout out. I will check them out tonight just to see what they have. Great Idea!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:43 PM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

Went to Lowes just now and picked up a few lengths of heat shrink tubing for $2. It worked perfect!

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I've been welding loops for a couple days now on an old worn out fly line, took me a few tries to figure out line rotation and distance from the heat gun but I'm starting to get the feel for it.

Tonight I broke out an 8wt DT line, cut it in half and managed to make a couple shooting heads, looped em up on some running line and gave em a go....they worked pretty well.
jaybo41 likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-05-2013, 01:18 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
I've been welding loops for a couple days now on an old worn out fly line, took me a few tries to figure out line rotation and distance from the heat gun but I'm starting to get the feel for it.

Tonight I broke out an 8wt DT line, cut it in half and managed to make a couple shooting heads, looped em up on some running line and gave em a go....they worked pretty well.
That is one of the 'beauties' of a DT line. The 'weight' is the first 30 feet. Whack in half and you have two shooting heads. Do you need a forward taper, load one spool with the fat end first. Need to chuck really big flies, small end goes on the shooting line first.

'But the heads too short!' Fiddle that, the usual line out of the box is 90 feet so each head is 45 foot long, with a two hander DT kick that out to 120 feet.

Other than a "Manly Man" stories, who really casts/fishes (effectively) well beyond that range? Yes, I have hooked fish with 120 foot of spey line off the reel, but the fish hooked themselves. I probably had little to do with the process, save for the cast.

fae
fysh and roguebum like this.