The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 11:56 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Vision ace 365 grain 30.5' long scandi head

hey there fellow spey enthusiasts,
So, I just got my hands on a sage z-axis 5126-4 spey rod, it came with a custom cut vision ace scandi head weighing in at 365 grains and 30.5' long. First off I should say that 365 is a bit too heavy on this rod for a scandi line, which is why I am thinking of cutting it back.
I will be using this rod for trout, landlocked salmon from 3-12 pounds and small steelhead in the 5 pound range hence the 5 weight spey rod.
This rod flexes very deep into the blank, and therefore 365 is too heavy for a scandi line, if it was a skagit line 365 would be fine. I plan on cutting back the front taper on this vision line in order to make it into more of a skagit like taper, or "skandit" line, scandi-skagit mix. After cutting back the front taper I plan on adding a light rio MOW tip, maybe 5ft float/5ft sink.

My question is this; When cutting back the front taper to match the MOW tip I realize the tip of the line has to be thicker than the MOW tip, otherwise the line won't cast right. But, when cutting the front taper back should I leave a few inches of front taper and then add the MOW? Or, should I cut it back all the way to the belly of the taper, weld my loop, and add the MOW tip? Would the line turn over okay if I cut the line all the way to the belly, or would it be best to leave a few inches of front taper to aid turnover?
I'm worried about leaving front taper material because the MOW tip may be too large in diameter for any of the front taper diameter.

If any of you were to attempt tthis line customization and were either gunna cut the front taper completely, or leave a few inches of the front taper intact, which would you choose and why?

I know this is a lot of info to be asking for, but if any of you have experience with cutting up spey lines NOT single handed lines, your insight would be much appreciated.
P.S. I'm a very experienced line welder so thats not the issue at all, just concerned about where on the head to cut the front taper to match it up with a light rio MOW tip. Thanks fellas!
Old 09-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vision ace 365 grain 30.5' long scandi head

Can't answer your question, but why not sell this custom cut line and contact Steve Godshall to make you another that fits the rod exactly?
Hardyreels and ontheflyguide like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-27-2013, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

John makes a good point there......................

Or, why not go with something like a Rio Mid Spey and really get into casting? I learned with mid & long belly lines and now am fishing all 65' heads. I really believe that they offer better line and fly control than short heads. Of course if you are fishing short range your line will be fine but when you start reaching out 70 feet and more there will be not much line mending power with only a 30' head and braided running line............

Just say'en,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-01-2013, 01:44 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I have a 5 weight spey custom built by Steve. The grain weight range is 325 to 425, however, I like a 270-290 grain line on it for scandi... It handles it remarkably. I don't use MOW tips with a scandi line. I stick with the poly leaders. The have a lighter feel and they have sink rates, just as mow tips do.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:47 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

I have thought about contacting godshall, obviously thats not a bad idea. As for the mid-speys, I am already very familiar with them I use a 6/7 delta and a 7/8 uni-spey on my heavier 2 handers, and I agree that they improve one's casting technique exponentially. However, I don't know of a mid-spey line that is light enough for the z-axis 5126. I should mention that I don't like overloading rods with grains, I wouldn't like going over 390 grains on this rod becuase I think 360 is already pushing it.

hardyreels, do you know of a mid-spey less than or at 400 grains?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:29 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Visit snake river outfitters and look at the ballistic vector line.

A 5/6 is 45' @ 390 grains. On your rod, that is 3.6 times the rod length. Which is right there on the mid belly marker.

A CND GPS line would also be another great choice. You can put an add up on speypages to see if they have one. A 4/5 is 50' @ 355 grains. That is 4 times the rod length which would also be a great mid-belly length.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:18 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewlushlife View Post
hardyreels, do you know of a mid-spey less than or at 400 grains?
I think Steve would make one for you if you wanted it. Hes making me a skagit i the 210-260 grain range for my 12'0'' 2/3wt rod I'm building (and unlike many spey rods which cast 2 line sizes over, this rod is actually designed as its designated weight even at its length).
Old 10-07-2013, 01:28 PM

I forgot about those companies, ballistic, CND and even Vision. I've used airflo and rio spey lines extensively and have had much luck. However, I fished with my custom vision head at 360 grains scandi on my 5126 recently and really liked it, so I dont think I'm cutting that line up now. I got the vision with the rod, it came with the rod so I'm not sure how to get a hold of vision lines given that its a scandinavian company and all thier lines are measured in grams instead of grains.

*BTW will godshall let you decide what color you want the line to be?**
Old 10-07-2013, 01:40 PM

Most of Steve's lines come in an olive color. He had his line made from his specification overseas and shipped here where he cuts them just for you. If you were to ask for a different color, it might take a bit longer. The ballistic spey lines were designed by Steve and Lee Davison. They come in blue. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-07-2013, 03:33 PM

I see, thanks for the info on steve, I didnt know he had a hand in making the ballistic lines. I just did a bunch of research on vision lines and just got off the phone with the USA re-seller of vision lines and it turns out theres a fly shop 30 mins from me with all the vision lines both single and double hand. I think I'm gunna give the vision single hand lines a go, they have a teflon coating on their lines, we all know how slick and tough teflon is so I'm real excited about these lines.

As for the small ballistic in 4/5, I think the vector is going to be the right line, thanks for all the input Im stoked to try these new lines. The reason I get so excited about lines is because I believe lining a rod is as important as the graphite you use, when a rod with a given action is matched with the right taper its magic. But if you have a taper thats not well suited for the flex the stick is unremarkable, I think this is one of the most common problems with your average angler today. Just buying a rio gold b/c someone says its the best is not neccesarily going to unlock the full potential of the rod, honestly I believe an angler needs to experiment with multiple flex indexes lined with multiple tapers before they can match a line and rod for optimal performance.

Some people think I'm nuts, until I help them line their rod of course

But thanks again for all the info on ballistics!