The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 09:11 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: best shooting line?

So I've been using another running line from airflo that not many people seem to know about or use, the airflo coldwater supple running line, it's .30 and white. It has an ultra low stretch core, and a material in the PU coating that reduces tangles apparently. At any rate I have been using it with my 5126 spey rod along with a 390 grain airflo tactical steelhead shooting head, what a wonderful match! Yesterday I used the same running line with my 8110 airflo skagit compact 510 grain head (practicing for winter steelhead season) and the running line was so perfect.

I just got this new airflo running line, but before that I was using a Rio powerflex .30 in chartruese, and to be honest the airflo material is so incredibly superior to it. The material just feels so much better quality in your hands. It doesn't burn you like the rio when you strip in fast, it doesn't coil or tangle like the rio and it shoots far better. After using this airflo coldwater supple running line, I wont be able to go back to rio runners again, its that good.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:06 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

When someone mentioned coldwater line, I tend to step back a little bit since I live in Southern California, where the summer is long and hot and the winter is short and warm. How is this airflo coldwater running line perform in the summer when the air temp is around 85-95°F?
Old 12-04-2013, 12:29 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: best shooting line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I don't know much different but I am using Airflo's shooting line and it did me just fine. I hear really good things about Steve Godshall's Mendmaster line if you prefer fly line and your fishing requires lots of mending.
A +1 here for Steve Godshall's custom cut lines. Nothing out of the box, each is made for a specific rod (action/length/etc). Won't cost you a penny more than something off the shelf but you have 'your line,' not one of a thousand.

That said, Steve's most noted for this 2hander line builds; he takes the 'spec's' even further with those builds. You can get them just as heads, full integrated lines, or just the running line to put behind a head system. With the two handers a great thing to do is have him put a section of different colour line at the top end of the running line. These will be a few inches longer than the rod length (over hang out of the rod tip) and the colour change will come right at the top of the cork handle.

For your next cast (2hander) you just strip in the shooting head to the bottom of the colour change (give or take an inch) and you're good to go. None of this staring up at your rod tip BS.

fae
Old 02-10-2014, 03:59 PM

jabrowning24 will become famous soon enoughjabrowning24 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
When someone mentioned coldwater line, I tend to step back a little bit since I live in Southern California, where the summer is long and hot and the winter is short and warm. How is this airflo coldwater running line perform in the summer when the air temp is around 85-95°F?
Dont waste your time. Its a great line when its cold but thats what its made for.

I really like airflos miracle braid, kinda my halfway point for mono and real fly line... I have (had) gripshooter too and I hate it, you have to stretch it cause it coils so badly, it knots, and worst yet mine broke last weekend 30 ft from the tip! Fly on a rock with 10lb tippet and with a slight pull the **** just snapped! 44lb gripshooter btw, this is not the first time I have heard of this happening either. I am still waiting to hear back from rio to see what they will do about it.
Hardyreels likes this.