The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/spey-fly-lines-other-spey-tackle/)
-   -   best shooting line? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/spey-fly-lines-other-spey-tackle/334945-best-shooting-line.html)

flymoron 10-21-2013 07:41 AM

best shooting line?

amnesia? slickshooter?
what do yall use?

thenewlushlife 10-21-2013 10:23 AM

Re: best shooting line?

I've used a number of running lines, and have settled on a few. I should make the disclaimer that the color of my running line matters very much to me, I'm so petty. The airflo ridge running lines are incredible, however they only come in yellow 20lb or orange 30lb, so I wont use them :P
The rio powerflex running line is amazing, I use the .30 chartruese green running line and its fantastic for heads from 330-450 grains IMO.
When I am using a shooting head heavier than 450 grains, such as my 510 and 540 skagits I use a .38 cortland tapered running line, (only $25 on bearsden.com) This runner has a thicker taper in the first 8 feet of the line where you connect it to the shooting head, this helps stablize the bottom leg of your loop on heavier heads, its amazing and comes in a nice mist green color.

Another favorite of mine is the Wulff .30 White running line, its just so well made and shoots incredibly well.

I stay away from slickshooter, gripshooter etc... Not a fan of mono running lines at all, they feel terrible in your hands, they coil and tangle like crazy, and if you get a kink in it, it will be permantly creased. I also feel that they don't give you much more casting distance, not to mention you can't line mend whatsoever with them, zero line control when its laying on the water surface. not for me brotha so I cant help ya with mono runners.

Anyway, hope this helps.

jaybo41 10-21-2013 06:37 PM

I don't know much different but I am using Airflo's shooting line and it did me just fine. I hear really good things about Steve Godshall's Mendmaster line if you prefer fly line and your fishing requires lots of mending.

flymoron 10-24-2013 09:18 PM

best shooting line?

that infio helped thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

coug 10-24-2013 10:00 PM

I have been using Monic this year. So far so good. Only problem is that my heads are about the same color, so welded an orange loop to the back end so I could see the junction between the head and the running line.

glcaddis 10-25-2013 12:48 PM

I like Varivas for the lighter heads and the Airflo lines for heavier heads. I've tried amnesia and am not a fan. As the weather gets colder, I may not like Varivas as much, time will tell.

sandfly 10-25-2013 02:46 PM

Cortland braided mono, no tangles, no stretching, shoots like a cannon.

winxp_man 10-27-2013 10:48 AM

I like the new grip shooter that came out. Good stuff.

runningfish 12-03-2013 02:12 PM

First of all, please pardon my lack of knowledge.

Can I use an old 5wt line after I cut the head off and attach it to a shooting head?

coug 12-03-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runningfish (Post 616809)
First of all, please pardon my lack of knowledge.

Can I use an old 5wt line after I cut the head off and attach it to a shooting head?

I have a friend who does that. Buys discount lines and cuts the heads off. Works well for him.