The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 07:41 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default best shooting line?

amnesia? slickshooter?
what do yall use?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:23 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: best shooting line?

I've used a number of running lines, and have settled on a few. I should make the disclaimer that the color of my running line matters very much to me, I'm so petty. The airflo ridge running lines are incredible, however they only come in yellow 20lb or orange 30lb, so I wont use them :P
The rio powerflex running line is amazing, I use the .30 chartruese green running line and its fantastic for heads from 330-450 grains IMO.
When I am using a shooting head heavier than 450 grains, such as my 510 and 540 skagits I use a .38 cortland tapered running line, (only $25 on bearsden.com) This runner has a thicker taper in the first 8 feet of the line where you connect it to the shooting head, this helps stablize the bottom leg of your loop on heavier heads, its amazing and comes in a nice mist green color.

Another favorite of mine is the Wulff .30 White running line, its just so well made and shoots incredibly well.

I stay away from slickshooter, gripshooter etc... Not a fan of mono running lines at all, they feel terrible in your hands, they coil and tangle like crazy, and if you get a kink in it, it will be permantly creased. I also feel that they don't give you much more casting distance, not to mention you can't line mend whatsoever with them, zero line control when its laying on the water surface. not for me brotha so I cant help ya with mono runners.

Anyway, hope this helps.
Hardyreels and fredaevans like this.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:37 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know much different but I am using Airflo's shooting line and it did me just fine. I hear really good things about Steve Godshall's Mendmaster line if you prefer fly line and your fishing requires lots of mending.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:18 PM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default best shooting line?

that infio helped thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 10-24-2013, 10:00 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I have been using Monic this year. So far so good. Only problem is that my heads are about the same color, so welded an orange loop to the back end so I could see the junction between the head and the running line.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:48 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

I like Varivas for the lighter heads and the Airflo lines for heavier heads. I've tried amnesia and am not a fan. As the weather gets colder, I may not like Varivas as much, time will tell.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:46 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Cortland braided mono, no tangles, no stretching, shoots like a cannon.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 10-27-2013, 11:48 AM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

I like the new grip shooter that came out. Good stuff.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:12 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

First of all, please pardon my lack of knowledge.

Can I use an old 5wt line after I cut the head off and attach it to a shooting head?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:24 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
First of all, please pardon my lack of knowledge.

Can I use an old 5wt line after I cut the head off and attach it to a shooting head?
I have a friend who does that. Buys discount lines and cuts the heads off. Works well for him.