The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By s fontinalis
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 2 Post By mridenour
  • 2 Post By krikau27

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 09:26 AM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough
Default Whitings Spey Hackle Capes

Has anyone used these/ how many usable feathers are on the cape? For 10.99$ is it a good buy?

Thanks, Nick.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:40 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Whitings Spey Hackle Capes

its a good buy at that price. HOWEVER, the hackles are VERY thin and whispy, and difficult to manage....it takes a lot of trial and error to figure out a good way to get them tied in, and wrapped to look as you want them on the finished fly.

Generally the capes have a bigger range of sizes than the saddles, with rooster hackles being bigger than hen.

I bought hen and only realized afterward, then sold it. Then i bought a bunch of rooster but ended up moving them on. there are better spey hackles out there - dyed ringneck rump, schlappen, rooster coque, burnt goose shoulder etc etc etc.

If you're in doubt about it, i'd let the deal pass.
Hardyreels, mcnerney and mridenour like this.

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 11-20-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:56 AM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the input I may look into the other options you spoke of
Old 11-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I second what Eunan has said; have a few but don't use often for the reasons he mentioned.
mridenour likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-20-2013, 12:54 PM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I second what Eunan has said; have a few but don't use often for the reasons he mentioned.
I also second what Eunan said. Not because I know anything but because he ties some of the nicest flies I have ever seen.
mcnerney and s fontinalis like this.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:12 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

I have Whiting spey capes. One of then is so poorly that I consider never buying one again. They are super high priced here in Denmark. Fortunately my grizzly version is good. I have complained about the cape to Whiting farms and was promised a replacement, but that hasn't happened yet.

Kim.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:47 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

The whiting spey hackle is wispy with a very thin stem. The feathers are not good for everything. However, I really like them for sparse spey flies like the carron. They are not an all around hackle but they do have their place.