The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 01:40 AM

rockriv is on a distinguished road
Default 13'9" 9wt too big for idaho and northwestern US steelies?

Title says it. Gonna buy a 13"9' inch 9wt spey for mainly idaho and oregon steelhead. Is it just too big? Im getting it for a really good deal. But would rather pass up a grest deal and get whats better than spend a little and it just not be right. Thanks all. -James
Old 01-26-2014, 02:27 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: 13'9" 9wt too big for idaho and northwestern US steelies?

Hi James,

My opinion in short is.......... no, that's not too big. I have a 13'9 weight Hardy and it is good for fish from an average rainbow to a king salmon. One advantage of a heavy rod is that they will handle large flies as well as the small ones. My 13 - 9 uses a Jetstream 10/11 line with a 65' head and works fine.

What brand of rod?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-26-2014, 04:14 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriv View Post
Title says it. Gonna buy a 13"9' inch 9wt spey for mainly Idaho and Oregon steelhead. Is it just too big? Im getting it for a really good deal. But would rather pass up a grest deal and get whats better than spend a little and it just not be right. Thanks all. -James
Others will 'agree to disagree,' but in a word: 'Yes.' Rod length is just fine, but a 9wt is over kill 99% of the time. All you need is a 7wt, and at times ... low water ... that might be a bit of over kill.

Fred
Old 01-26-2014, 06:35 AM

ok thanks. the rod is a redington CPX. i guess that was most of my question Ard. "would i be able to make it work with heavier and lighter flies?" and it sounds like i may be able to do so. Fred i wish it was a 7wt. but its a steal of a deal for just the 9wt so. I learned to fish the great lakes tribs using single handers and i always used a 7wt 10 foot as my go to size. but some guys used 9 wts. which i thought was a bit heavy. i suppose its kinda like that or maybe they just got good deals on them!
Old 01-26-2014, 08:53 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Just thoughts here from someone whose 'down sizing' his rods. I have 2handers from 3wts to 10's. With any thing over an '8' you should be fishing for King Salmon.

I've landed fish close to 20#'s on a 7, and a chase it was, but I still popped the hook out the corner of the jaw. End game is the rod is a 'good deal' as the seller has figured out ........
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm glad Fred posted because we have so few 2 hand fishermen on here. All I know is what I have and use, hearing from others is a good thing.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-26-2014, 01:04 PM

Can only think of where 'big' was almost nearly not enough. Fishing for King Salmon with a 15' 10wt and hooked "The fish of a life time." I never thought I'd see a rod of that size/weight bend double.

It can.

150 feet of Carron fly line, 12'ish foot of leader and close to 250 yards of 30# backing off the reel when a motor guide boat pulled up to the beach and 'Would you like a ride?'

Next mile had me reeling like hell as the Guide chased the fish down stream. Fish finally next to the boat and one of the clients tried to lift him out of the water ...... half out and a no go. Just too big to lift.

Hook got popped and that baby went back into the Gene Pool where he belonged. Besides, what's a old man, an old cat and dog going to do with that much meat?

Saki, the cat may have disagreed.

fae
Old 01-26-2014, 02:27 PM

Perfect. Ive made my decision to pass the desl and stick with a 7wt/13ish foot. Im trying to conserve on money and i was told by another forum member to look into anglers roost spey rods. They seem legit and of decent quality for my first 2 hander. Anyone have any experience or knowledge of them?