The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By itchmesir

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 12:17 PM

king joe will become famous soon enough
Default Albright 1308-3 13' 8 wt spey

Hey guys
Anybody know much about this rod...or Albright in general? I have a breif history of Albright but can't find much about this model of spey rod. I have looked a bit online for anything...but only find some breif words...nothing specific about 'this' rod.

I have a lead on this...and seems pretty cheap (150).

IF you know something....as an 8 wt....would you have a grain window you know...or have used?

Thanks in advance

King Joe Outa Here!
Old 02-25-2014, 01:37 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Albright 1308-3 13' 8 wt spey

Albright has an interesting marketing plan... List their rods at insane msrp... And then make them look like a deal when they're marked "70% off"... Needless to say I fell for it... Sold both rods I had bought not 2 months later... You can probably get the same quality from an anglers roost rod... Minus the bs msrp prices
moucheur2003 likes this.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:03 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi King Joe,

Can't help you much with the Albright rods at all, let alone the one in question but I have a couple of thoughts that you may find helpful.

Go look at Rio and Airflo's websites and dig into the Spey Line Recommendations. That should help you establish a somewhat of a grain window. You could always give them a call or send them an email for their recommendations.

Know that these lines are made to fit a mass quantity of rods as opposed to a line that is truly a tailored fit.

If you want the tailored fit, give Steve Godshall a call and he can make you a line. Be prepared for a discussion, he'll chat with you about how you fish, where you fish and many other good things.

If you want to go off the shelf... check out Red Shed Fly shop and give Poppy a call. He may have some experience with the rod that he'd be willing to share with you. He's a super guy to deal with and very knowledgable about all things spey. I'd bet he can tell you what line that rod likes and he can likely get an off the shelf line to match it for you.

I had to dig for this one, but I remember a parallel discussion with one of our members who had purchased a Wright & McGill Rod. For some reason I was thinking he had bought and Albright. You may find this an interesting read, or not

got the new rod
Old 03-17-2014, 12:39 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Albright has an interesting marketing plan... List their rods at insane msrp... And then make them look like a deal when they're marked "70% off"... Needless to say I fell for it... Sold both rods I had bought not 2 months later... You can probably get the same quality from an anglers roost rod... Minus the bs msrp prices
They must have gotten tired of being mocked, because the ostensible list prices on their website are now about half what they used to be. (And they're now called "suggested retail price", not "MSRP".) But it's still BS, because they still have a much lower "our price", even though nobody else sells them.

I have no experience with the Albright spey models. I liked their (now-discontinued) EXS as a trout rod.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:00 PM

clibb is on a distinguished road

I've used albright for about 7 years now. I recently bought an 8 weight from them which was pretty interesting to cast. I'm used to 5/6 weights.
The 5/6 weights I've used from them have been excellent rods. They have kept their good condition and never let me down. I would highly recommend them. Their customer service have been great to me, too.