The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nymphomajik
  • 2 Post By runningfish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2014, 10:10 AM

nymphomajik is on a distinguished road
Default Spey line............HUH?????

Got invited to steelie alley in ohio. I doubt my b2x 5wt would cut it. So i picked up a winnie vsl 6/7 12'9" winston recommends a 400-420 grain line. Is that 420 leader & head or just head?

Are there spey lines that have integrated running lines? (I dont like loop to loop going through my guides)

Can i use a skagit or scandi to throw streamers and indi rigs? Or should i have a shooting streamer spool and a speydicator spool?

Can u overhead cast a spey rod?

Ty in advance for the help. This spey stuff is thoroughly confusing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:38 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Spey line............HUH?????

Fred! someone needs your help.

There are others here who are very experience in Spey but allow me the rookie to prep the stage for them.

The 420 recommended grain is just for the head without the running line or the leader. However, it will be a different story if you are using the T tips or Mow tips. You can have integrated head and running line, you can have it custom made by a guy name Steve Godshall or buy the Rio Switch Chucker. That 420 grain head is the #6 in switch chucker. I had that line before and it was very easy to cast if you have it matched with the right rod.

You can cast a switch rod overhead, but I don't think you want to cast a 12'9" spey rod overhead. You'll end up using it more for Spey cast anyway once you have it. Trust me.

by the way, our spey community here is not as broad as Speypages.com, you'll find more information there.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:38 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphomajik View Post
Got invited to steelie alley in ohio. I doubt my b2x 5wt would cut it. So i picked up a winnie vsl 6/7 12'9" winston recommends a 400-420 grain line. Is that 420 leader & head or just head?

Are there spey lines that have integrated running lines? (I dont like loop to loop going through my guides)

Most commercially built spey lines will be 'integrated,' but I prefer a head system so you can just 'swap out' the end when needed. No need for an extra spool(s) to lug around. Not to worry about the loop to loops; if properly made all you'll feel is a 'click' as it comes through the tip-top.

Can i use a skagit or scandi to throw streamers and indi rigs? Or should i have a shooting streamer spool and a speydicator spool?

Yes, yes and and yes/no on the indi rig question. Basic difference between a Skagit and a Scandi is the Skagit is short, heavy and has a blunt end for casting sink tips and heavy/bulky flies. Not many will use a Skagit head and just a leader. The Scandi provides a much more 'delicate' presentation for smaller flies and longer leaders (candidly, anything over 9 foot is rarely needed). The other major difference is how you set up your 'Anchor.'

The Skagit is a 'sustained anchor, even more so with a sink tip. The short head is designed to 'rip' the line/head out of the water. With a Scandi you (like a full dry line) use a 'touch and go' anchor. Line/leader hits the water and you're immediately into the formation of the D loop and forward cast stroke.

Rare to see anyone using an indicator with any spey line; with a Skagit head it would be a total 'non-starter.' But you can use an indicator with either a Scandi or full head line. Just DON'T make it very big; those things create a hell of a lot of drag! Not a good thing.

Can u overhead cast a spey rod?

Yes, but you will use a considerably LIGHTER head weight line. How much lighter is a rod dependent thing. Odd off as it may be I've yet to see anyone cast 'overhead' in fresh water. In the Salt, with a huge beach behind you .. that I could see as a very practical application.

Ty in advance for the help. This spey stuff is thoroughly confusing.

Naaaaaa, just a bit of a different application of rod/lines. The basic mechanics of what makes a 1hander rod 'work' and a 2hander are really pretty much the same. Just a question of application.

One of the beauties of a spey cast (any of them) is if something goes 'wrong' you get instant feed back on where your casting stroke went wrong. As all spey cast just have three elements its pretty easy how to figure out why the line ended up with an up/down stream belly, last few feet of line/leader landed in a pile. Etc.

Lots of commercial video's you can buy on 'how to' but I've yet to see one (it may be out there) where the 'presenter' purposely screws up casts so you can see the result and does a 'here's what went wrong.' Something like that would be a God Send to a new caster. (And a lot of "Old Farts" too!)

Hope all that was of some help.

Fred

Edit: Go back and read Running Fishes post .. HE'S DEAD ON with his observations.

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

A bit of an expansion on the use of an indicator with a Scandi/full floater line.

"Rare to see anyone using an indicator with any spey line; with a Skagit head it would be a total 'non-starter.' But you can use an indicator with either a Scandi or full head line. Just DON'T make it very big; those things create a hell of a lot of drag! Not a good thing."

Very rare, and conditions specific, where I'd use one, but those do happen. When it does you don't (personal experience) don't want to put the thing on right on your leader/fly line. Take about 10" of light leader and tie that to the end of the fly line and put a goodly sized knot on the end. You should end up with about 6-7 inches. Indie goes on that as a "separate entity" from the rest of the business end of your fly line.

Works best for me anyway ....

fae
Old 06-20-2014, 06:02 PM

lake flyer will become famous soon enoughlake flyer will become famous soon enough

NM, while I do fish a two hander here in Ohio there are many here more qualified to answer or give advice. I do however feel qualified to recommend you also bring your Winston BIIx five weight. You will not be undergunned on these streams (pretty shallow) and Ohio fish (not many in the teens). While you can get into double digit weight fish, most will be in the four to eight pound size range.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:07 PM

nymphomajik is on a distinguished road

Lake when they say steelhead alley i envision bowling pins of steelhead in each feeding "lane" (all pun intended) how true is this?

Old 06-20-2014, 07:10 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Steve Godshall is the man you need to talk to.