The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By ia_trouter
  • 1 Post By Fkrow
  • 1 Post By moucheur2003
  • 1 Post By moucheur2003
  • 2 Post By blackbugger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2015, 06:40 PM

eastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to all
Default Reels for the Long rods ?

I have a 2 VXP 2 handers , 5120 using a Teton/Tioga LA #10 holding 310gn.scandi and a 7133 with a Teton9/11 holding a 450 grn. I have been advised the Skagit will most likely not fit ( I have not tried but it already looks tight).

I could use the 9/11 on the 5 wt. ( I guess ) and do know where I can get another if it works with the Skagit.

If not , what are my options ? I don't want to spend a fortune but will do what it takes . So far , I have done a little looking at Galvin , Allen and Speyco.

So, whats it going to take to make this right or am I ok as I stand ?

Thanks
East

Last edited by eastfly66; 01-28-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:56 PM

ia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud of
Default Re: Reels for the Long rods ?

You know I am a rookie at this, but don't forget to consider the old reels. They are not a disadvantage due to the needed weight they carry.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:07 PM

eastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
You know I am a rookie at this, but don't forget to consider the old reels. They are not a disadvantage due to the needed weight they carry.
That is what I am hoping to find at a good price The Tetons are heavy compared to the stuff today but it appears they are not going to be big enough , maybe the 9/11 on the 5 wt. I'll have to check it in the AM.

I just saw the Hardy Marquis is new for 325 , a lot less than the Speyco, nice reel but holy cow 800 bucks ! I thought the Marquis was a vintage reel for big bucks ?
Old 01-29-2015, 11:29 AM

Fkrow is on a distinguished road

The new Hardy Marquis Salmon series for TH rods, small arbor with good capacity for spey lines.
The classic click and pawl makes a wonderful sound.

The Marquis Salmon #1 works great on your Sage 5120.
The Marquis Salmon #2 is fine for the 7133.

The older cast aluminum reels from Hardy UK are also fine.
S.A (Hardy) Marquis #10 = new Hardy Marquis Salmon #1, and interchangeable spools.
S.A. (Hardy) Marquis #11 = does not have new equivalent
Hardy Marquis Salmon #2 & #3 = interchangeable spools with new Marquis Salmon #2 & #3

Old Hardy Marquis =
Cast aluminum & painted, drop will and damage very easily.
Spools have bronze bushing = nice feature
Nickel silver line guard = class feature

New Hardy Marquis:
Bar stock machined and anodized finish, much tougher
No bronze bushing in spool = careful lubrication required
No line guard
Larger handle on spool = some wobble with hard run,,, I like the optional counterbalance button (discontinued by Hardy).

The 5120 would be fine with the Lamson LP 3.5 and the Lamson LP-5 for the 7133. These are the reels we use on our demo/class rods.

Most if not all of the new reels made today are large arbor with very limited capacity until you move up to the largest salt water reels at $700-$800+ price tags. In addition they are heavily ported and many are too light for TH rods to balance.

Regards,
FK
eastfly66 likes this.

Last edited by Fkrow; 01-29-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:43 AM

moucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
So far , I have done a little looking at Galvin , Allen and Speyco.t
I've got an Allen Kraken XLA 4 on my 8/9 spey rod and a Lamson Velocity 4 on my 8/9 switch rod. I'm happy with them both.

The Velocity series has been discontinued but you can still find a few if you hunt, usually at good discounts.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
I've got an Allen Kraken XLA 4 on my 8/9 spey rod and a Lamson Velocity 4 on my 8/9 switch rod. I'm happy with them both.

The Velocity series has been discontinued but you can still find a few if you hunt, usually at good discounts.
Mouch , did you need to add weight to the Allen to get it to balance ? I assume the 8/9 rod is 13' + ?
Old 01-29-2015, 07:35 PM

moucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
Mouch , did you need to add weight to the Allen to get it to balance ? I assume the 8/9 rod is 13' + ?
The rod is a 15' TFO Deer Creek. I didn't notice any balance problem, but I'm pretty new to spey casting, so I might not notice a problem if there were one. Then again, I took a casting lesson from Michael Mauri, who tried out my outfit and didn't mention any problem either, other than suggesting I try a shorter-bellied line.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:54 PM

blackbugger is a name known to allblackbugger is a name known to allblackbugger is a name known to allblackbugger is a name known to allblackbugger is a name known to allblackbugger is a name known to all

You really shouldn't have to get a different reel for just changing out shooting heads.
If the scandi fits the skagit should be close to fitting as well, it does on all my reels.
If it doesn't it should be close enough to strip off some backing to make enough room.

Or maybe I should say I don't know anyone who changes out reels or spools for using skagits or scandis.
Part of the whole idea is to be able to quickly switch heads on one rod and reel.
fyshstykr and eastfly66 like this.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbugger View Post
You really shouldn't have to get a different reel for just changing out shooting heads.
If the scandi fits the skagit should be close to fitting as well, it does on all my reels.
If it doesn't it should be close enough to strip off some backing to make enough room.

Or maybe I should say I don't know anyone who changes out reels or spools for using skagits or scandis.
Part of the whole idea is to be able to quickly switch heads on one rod and reel.
One down one to go !

I had 150yds new backing put on the Tioga 10 LA today and both the 310 scandi and 475 Skagit fit with a little clearance so the 5120 is good to go.

The Teton 9-11 I suspect after doing some research may have up to 250-300 yrds of backing , I think I can afford to loose some of that I am waiting on ups for the Skagit line.

They both seem to balance right at the tip top of the cork handle.

Close enough would you guys agree ?