The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 10:58 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Overline?

I think I'll be able to get a line for my TFO 9 wt traditional rod soon. Should I overline the rod by one line weight while I learn to cast?
I've found that overlining helps some people learn to feel the rod load when they learn one hand rods. Would this be helpful or hindrance with the 14' spey?
Old 11-13-2010, 12:35 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overline?

It's not a question of 'over lining,' but a question of the number of 'grains' a line has vs the rod/size of flies you'll be tossing. Add to that will you be casting 'tips' of some sort.

Almost all 2-handers have a 'grain range' that the rod will 'comfortably' handle. This can be pretty wide for a given rod. If you want 'more grains' choose a line at the top end of that range or one with a shorter head.

While on the topic, a given line type will also help you load the rod even if (several) lines have the same number of 'grains' in the head/head length. Skagit heads will generally run (recommend length) at 2 to 2.5 times the rod length, Scandi's 3 to 3.5 times the rod length, 'mid-bellies' 45 to 55 foot of head, etc., and etc. This is even getting more interesting as a few line makers have come out with 'compact' this's and that's.

Hit RIO and Airflo's web sites as (RIO for sure) have a recommend list of lines for a wide selection of rods.

So the choice of lines can/gets pretty damned expensive to experiment with your credit card. Not sure where you live, but if you've access to a local group/folks that have a selection of lines you can play with on the river, all the better.

"One man's feast is another man's ......"

fae
Old 11-13-2010, 02:13 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, Fred
I'm looking at the Rio VersiTip 8/9/10.
I'm on TFO's site asking for a recommendation, but that doesn't seem to be working.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:04 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

One other strong possibility is the "SpeyPages" web board. These folks are all 2-handers, and I suspect your rod is nothing new to many of them. For specific line recommendations, a question asked is a question answered.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Most spey rods have a fairly narrow grain window. I would find out from a good source what lines work best on your rod and stick with that. Try the Red Shed or some other reputable spey dealer and ask them what they suggest. As with single hand rods the rating they have on the rod and the rating they put on lines do not always match reallity. Given the cost of lines, it pays to be right the first time. I think Bob Meiser may have designed that blank, you may even want to talk to Meiser Rods and see what Bob says.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:15 AM

Lightbulb Re: Overline?

Hadn't taken a look at the TFO web site in quite some time ( flyrods ) and it appears they do publish the 'grain range' for their 2-hander rods. Click on the above page, then click on the specific rod type you have and you should be able to get that bit of info.

Now it's a choice of where you want to play. But do stick with a line that falls within their published 'limitations.'

fae
Old 11-14-2010, 12:11 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jojer,
As Fred and Dan stated, it is all about the grain range. Whenever I purchase a new Spey line, I don't look at the AFFTA numbers.

Before you choose your line, you need to determine which style of casting that you will do. Will you throw traditional, Skagit, or Scandi? The following video may be a plug for Loomis rods by Leland Fly Fishing Outfitters, but it explains the different styles of casting.

You mentioned that you were considering the Windcutter Spey line. That is what's called a short head traditional. Depending on the distance that you plan to throw, you will need to retrieve some line before each cast, but not as much as a shooting head style line. I learned on a Windcutter Spey. It is a very versatile line.

MP
Old 11-15-2010, 02:31 PM

Thanks everyone! I'll get back on later and run down some of this info.

Fred, Thanks for the link at TFO. Unfortunately, my old computer won't allow me access beyond clicking on the rod.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
Thanks everyone! I'll get back on later and run down some of this info.

Fred, Thanks for the link at TFO. Unfortunately, my old computer won't allow me access beyond clicking on the rod.
Let me know which one you've got and I'll do a 'cut and paste' ASAP. Post or (ya, ya I eve use my real name for e-mails) fredaevans@gmail.com. On line now

fae