The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines, Reels and other Spey Tackle

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2017, 07:34 PM

mfallon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spey reel choice

You will need the Kraken #3 for a 5/6wt switch rod for sure. A #2 will not work with any backing.

I use my #3 Kraken for my 4wt prospector and it works great.

I just bought a Kraken #2 for my 3wt trout spey.

Depending on the size of the head you're using, or if you're using an integrated line, I would say that for 6wt spey or 7wt switch you would need a Kraken 4.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:03 AM

flytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant future

Options abound for spey reels. For the classic look w/ disk drags - Bogdans, Saracione, Janciuras reels (good luck finding one of these), Olson, Noel, Loop Classics, Peerless, Godfrey, Herman, Vom Hofe. Bring your wallet!

A much mojo option is Vlad's VR Design - Avro Lancaster 4/0 Titanium Fly Reel (just to get you guys drooling this morning).

Click the image to open in full size.

C&P's reels that don't click on the retrieve.... the only one I know is Farlex. What fun is that? Tim still makes one heck of a reel in multiplier and outgoing/incoming clicker.

Vintage C&Ps for spey rods include Thompson 500, 3 3/4 - 4 1/4" W Hardy Perfects (my fav), Farlow Perfects, Dingley Perfects, 4" Uniquas, even the larger 4" Hardy St George or 3 3/4" St Johns (or other copies) are all good options.... however.... you have to be careful as some of the older reel feet or too long on new spey rods. There's ways around this like making a new foot or filing them down (*gasp*!!!!).

Price conscious older C&Ps include J W Young 4" Beaudex, Pridex, Freedex or Beaulite or other series from 50s-60s (1540s). Farlow had the 4" Ambassador, BWP, Aquarex and others spey worthy that all fit modern reel seats.

New world or recently out of circulation spey sized reels include C&P or Disc - Leyland's Classic Spey Series, Abel Spey, Hatch, Nautilus, Ross S3, Orvis Battenkill, SA System 2s, Martin Big Game, Valentine, Hardy Cascapedia, Marquis, big arbor Hardy Ultralite 9000s, or an all time favorite the Pflueger Medalist 1498s.

Or even the cork drags - Tibor Spey, Saracione Monarch... these are rarities to find. The Tibor Spey is for big stick - 15 fters.

Prices - $35-$3000 ......

So many choices..... not enough time to fish. I fish in my head more than I do in real life fortunately.

ft09

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
~Zane Grey

Last edited by flytie09; 02-10-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:12 AM

myt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud ofmyt1 has much to be proud of

https://cheekyfishing.com/collection...-475-spey-reel

What about this reel?

I like the fact that it is Spey specific.

I was thinking of getting this to balance my NRX two handed, 8wt., 13ft. rod.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:10 AM

rockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant future

I prefer made in U.S.A. You can get a nice Ross for the same amount of money. Animas S
myt1 likes this.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:26 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

".... or an all time favorite the Pflueger Medalist 1498s."

Gets my vote for simple and bullet proof; almost nothing in the thing to break. I've a couple that I've used for close to fifty years, still going strong. Only thing you can screw up is putting in too much lube grease when you clean it up. Just a tad is all it needs.

fae
rockriver likes this.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:06 PM

rockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
".... or an all time favorite the Pflueger Medalist 1498s."

Gets my vote for simple and bullet proof; almost nothing in the thing to break. I've a couple that I've used for close to fifty years, still going strong. Only thing you can screw up is putting in too much lube grease when you clean it up. Just a tad is all it needs.

fae

Wish I could find a nice 1498 to add to my Medalist list.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:45 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
Wish I could find a nice 1498 to add to my Medalist list.
Do a 'Google,' I got lots of 'hits.' That said ..... if this is for 'spey work' buy the biggest one you can find. These lines suck up one heck of a lot of space.
myt1 likes this.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:45 AM

It'd be for display only Fred.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
It'd be for display only Fred.
That I can understand; beautiful reel!
rockriver likes this.