The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines, Reels and other Spey Tackle

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By jr spey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2017, 09:06 AM

doranbj is on a distinguished road
Default Ari T Hart Reel

I was given, as a gift, an Ari T Hart reel by an old Salmon fishing friend who is sadly no longer with us.

I have been trying to identify the reel, without success so far. If anyone can help, I would be very grateful.

The reel is as new and is marked as an S3 455. It is approx. 4.25 inches in diameter and is right hand wind.

Any information would be very helpful.

Brian
Old 02-24-2017, 09:29 AM

jr spey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ari T Hart Reel

Pictures would help confirm it, but it seems you have one of Ari's early reels in the S3 size. He had a freshwater series called F1, F2, F3, and F4 and a similar but stronger series of "saltwater" models called S0, S1, S2, and S3. The S3 is large enough to be a good spey reel and in fact it was my original spey reel back in the mid-80's. That whole series of reels came to the US initially in the early 1980's and were current into the 2000's. ATH Design, Ari's company, went through the European version of bankruptcy and the company was purchased by a Danish company related to Fiskars. However, the S3 was not kept in the lineup when the Danes re-introduced the reels in the late 1990's, but a version of it was released later but it wasn't called the S3. The original reels were done in a black anodized finish and briefly with Ari's nickel coating which looked terrific but did not hold up well. These will appear as a flat silver finish, almost like pewter, and the finishes are often bubbled and cracked, especially if the reel was used in saltwater. All the reels are highly collectible, as is almost anything by Ari, and most of them still fish really well. The drag on the S series is not truly a saltwater drag, but would hold up for light duty work. Let me know if this prompts any further questions or if I didn't answer something for you. As for value, a photo would be required that shows in detail its physical condition.
Ard, mcnerney and itchmesir like this.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:58 AM

doranbj is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Ari T Hart Reel

Thank you very much for your very helpful response.
I will take some pictures of the reel and post them in the next day or so.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:47 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ari T Hart Reel

Ari't Hart is a genius and his reels are works of art.