The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines, Reels and other Spey Tackle

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2017, 09:00 PM

troutclout11 is on a distinguished road
Default MOW, Rio Replacement, or Custom Sink Tip?

Are Rio Replacement Tips lighter than MOW tips? It seems like they are but I couldn't tell from RIO's site. If not, then what is the difference between them? I ask because I have a 10'6 5/6 Beulah Classic Switch I've been trying to learn with, lined with a #5 Chucker. It casted OK with 10-12' trout Versileaders, but I think these are a bit too light, and the light MOW tip (10') seems too heavy. I'm still learning, so it could be the caster, but it doesn't seem right and I think I need something in between to hit the sweet spot.

Should I go with a RIO replacement tip, a spey versileader (6' or 10'?) , or make a custom tip? Are there other options? I'm thinking I could buy T-8, cut it down to say, 5 feet, and make my own tip. That might be the compromise I'm looking for. But I'm wondering what people think of the replacement tips vs. MOW vs. other tips (including custom cuts) for lighter switch/spey set ups. I've been having trouble finding a tip that works for my rod and was wondering if anyone has any insight that could help me out. I really would like to find a tip that works to unlock all my rod's potential.

If custom making your own tips is the way to go, how do you guys weld loops into a cut piece of T (or Z) material?

Thanks, and tight lines.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:46 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MOW, Rio Replacement, or Custom Sink Tip?

Can't find Steve Godshall's phone number but he works with Bob:

R. B. Meiser Fly Rods - Spey Rod Shop

Get ready for a long phone calL, his lines are built for a given rod/fishing conditions/etc. Worth every penny!

All my 2handers are loaded with his lines ... ZING!!
troutclout11 likes this.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:43 AM

eastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant future

Hi troutclout,

There are quite a few questions in there and quite a bit of confusion but don't worry it happens to everyone new to the 2H game. Yes, MOW & iMOW tips are heavier than versileaders and intended for use on the skagit head. I could take a stab at more technical data but I'm not familiar with the rod & grain window.

However, what I would advise is not buying anything, not tips,leaders or custom lines and certainly not cutting up your own, not at this point in the game. What you need to do is find a class or instructor to take you thru DH 101. Additional gear is only going to complicate the situation more and add to the confusion.

A good instructor will set you up with a basic scandi head & running line (or integrated) and more important explain the various options and build a solid foundation (mechanics of casting). If your mechanics are not squared away you may get a line to function and think your all set only to discover later such is not the case. You might have to spend some time and money but it will be well worth the investment.

I would recommend asking "Reference for instructor/class in your area"....A Spey Clave would be a good place to start.

If that advice doesn't appeal to you try calling Beulah , they make lines to match their rods. I think Dewayne here also has that rod.

Above all, don't give up, it's worth the effort.
fredaevans and troutclout11 like this.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:20 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with ''66's' comments above; years back we were all 'self taught' and you built in basic casting mistakes. To make it worse the choice of rods/lines was close to zero.

Anyone old enough to remember when Sage came out with their 9wt (13'6"?). Save for ordering something out of the UK that was the choice. Now? Anything you want!

I actually have a 2wt 'trout spey' for Montana fishing.

fae
Old 06-30-2017, 07:00 AM

That's all good advice, and I think I and every other beginner would definitely benefit from a lesson. Not working mistakes into the cast and naturalizing them would be worth its weight in gold, I'm sure. My particular problem is lessons aren't cheap, and this is an expensive habit! And I'm pretty sure the tips I'm using are also part of the problem (been told as much, actually!). So I'm trying to tinker with that first because that's what I can afford to do now.

So, back to tips...

Is a Replacement Tip lighter than a MOW tip?
How do Spey Versileaders compare, density-wise, to trout versileaders?
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:02 PM

eastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant future

You have me confused too the "replacement tips" are for the versileader kit?

MOW tips are heavier than versileaders I think , depends on length and how much of it is sinking. Would really need to see what your looking at to understand. What system are you using ?

On another note , I see your location is Central NY , somehow this morning I managed to get NV out of that !!! If you venture over to Conn. & the Farmington at all I can put you in touch with an instructor that will be very reasonable , less than you going to spend on trial and error anyway. There is also Milinda up in Altmar.

The trout versileaders are for SH rods , I guess you could use them ..I choose my leaders on length and sink rate , length so i don't blow the anchor

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

I think the replacement tips your talking about go with this ...

https://www.rioproducts.com/products...hort-head-spey

think there different than the versileader, but don't know how much

I'm told this is a good set up btw , going to order one myself
Old 06-30-2017, 05:17 PM

flytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant future

I'm a bad one to ask. Yes I have a MOW tip and they're nice... but I prefer to buy 30' coils of T material and make my own tips. I even developed my own color coding system and pimp them out w/ colored shrink tubing and made a laminated color code reference chart card to keep in my leader wallet.

Sounds like a lot of work... but honestly I only use 3-4 different ones......

ft09

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
~Zane Grey
Old 06-30-2017, 08:34 PM

[QUOTE=eastfly66;941910]You have me confused too the "replacement tips" are for the versileader kit?

Oh so THAT'S why they're called replacement tips. You're right, these are meant to replace versitips--funny how that makes sense now. I did not know that. A rep recommended I get a 10' replacement tip, that's why I was asking. He probably recommended it because I figured out it is lighter than a MOW tip.

A 10' replacement tip in #5 = 55 grains, which is lighter than light MOW (10' T-8 = 80 grains, right?). As for the spey versileader, a RIO tech told me today that the 10' spey versileader = 70 grains (6' tips = 45gr). Hope that is useful to someone...

I haven't been on the forum in a while. I used to live in NM. I'm in NY now. Altmar is close enough. Do you have contact info?
Old 07-01-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutclout11 View Post
I haven't been on the forum in a while. I used to live in NM. I'm in NY now. Altmar is close enough. Do you have contact info?
So, did your location actually say NM in the morning and while I was off during the day you changed it to NY ? It would be nice to know I'm not going down hill as fast as I think I am !

I'll fire off a PM with some contact info ...

BTW, Spey Nation was just last week in Altmar

---------- Post added at 04:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutclout11 View Post
He probably recommended it because I figured out it is lighter than a MOW tip.
......and shorter , short rod - shorter head +leader/tip , long rod - longer head + leader/tip.

If you look at the chart the weights are the same thru the different tips so the complete rig remains the same or close to it. That spey short comes with only one tip , floating at 15' , the other tips are extra but all 15'. Made for rods 13 to 14 feet or so.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=eastfly66;942220]So, did your location actually say NM in the morning and while I was off during the day you changed it to NY ? It would be nice to know I'm not going down hill as fast as I think I am !

Haha, Yes. It did. Didn't mean to trick you. I figured I'd update it though now that I live 2,000 miles from there. I bought my switch for NY tribs then moved to NM and I never got to use it. Now I'm back and looking to putting my investment to use. I'm glad I held on to it. I can't even do it right and it's still fun. Every once in a while I get a half-way decent cast to shoot out and it's like I won the lottery