The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Yeah It's Heavy but Man Does It Ever Cast!

Learning on still water will be a lot different than doing the same with a current at your shoulder. In this case, (still water) I would think that finding videos of 'how to' would be helpful. Current; a nice gentle 2 mph for instance makes line management easy. It would also save you from learning on still water and then taking the rig to a river and running into things that didn't happen at the lake shore.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
Ard,Even though I've never tried Spey Casting with a Switch or Spey Rod,I've watched a few Methods Of Spey Casting on You-Tube,seen it Done,tried it with my10ft Rod with A switch Line.
I hadn't heard or saw The Perry Poke until a couple of weeks ago I watched a guy on our Local Lake,I was told he was doing The Perry Poke.
I agree with Fred you have a Nice Cannon,which is capable of Mighty Distances,by the way what size Projectiles can it throw with The 770 Grain Line,as I imagine,as you mentioned it does it quite easily ??
Brian.
Hi Brian,

I just spotted this, the big Winston rod uses an 875 grain line and although I have not used anything larger than a 2/0 un-weighted salmon fly I'm sure it'll toss larger stuff. The problem would arise once the fly became so big and heavy that it sinks too deep during the set up of a cast that the line can not rip it from the water.

My experience albeit limited is that as the payload size & weight increases the range and the ease of casting respond in negative ways.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-17-2012, 10:52 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Correction, I have a 14' 9wt Greys. It's been in the closet so long I forgot how long it was. I just took it out on the lawn. A Spey cast wasn't possible because I didn't have water tension but the overhead cast was absolutely unbelievable. If I had a bionic shoulder I would definitely do it all day long! This needs more R&D for sure...
Old 09-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I overhead cast my switch rods all the time but my plan was to actually learn to spey cast.
Marco,
A local Spey Casting Instructor 'Guru' I've been working with strongly recommends that a person who wants to learn to spey cast start with a spey rod instead of a 'switch rod'. The guy seems to know what he's talking about.

Don't mean to 'jack' Ard's thread, just wanted to pass that on to you.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-17-2012, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hey fysh,

The Winston with that heavy headed line works kinda like the rigs you & Pam had up here. Granted, the head is 65' long but the casting is very similar. I figured out how to Perry Poke for a set up and the rest is smooth sailing.

I put a post about current conditions on the That Puppy will hunt thread, take a look.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear. Get those last cast in Buddy, Winter is coming.

I'll tell ya I really like that Air Flow 'Rage' line I was using up there.
Just ordered a new Scandi Compact for the 11' 9" 4wt 'Decho'. I cast Wovenstonefly's rod yesterday with a 300 grain Scandi Compact and all I can say is "Yummy"!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-18-2012, 01:37 AM
Administrator

The post about conditions wasn't good, here is a copy of it;

Hi Guys,

Conditions continue to be ................ a challenge this year. Even as we slide into fall things are screwed up. We have had such heavy rains that there is currently "Bank Full" rivers and creeks from Talkeetna to Seward. All areas around Prince William Sound got hit hard for days also. Valdez is experiencing flooding and I understand that Cordova received over 7" of rain in a 24 hour period 2 day back.

So the normal trout and other species fishing that would be happening is not. I went up as far as Montana Creek today to check water levels and everything was what I would call un-fishable and perhaps unsafe for a fly rodder. If the rain stops things will be in order within 4 days but any more precipitation at all and most of the fall will be lost.

When you hear of high water from the Denali rivers to the Kenai Peninsula, there is basically no where to go.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:23 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Ard,I thought similiar to what you have mentioned,when using Large/Heavy Flies,I know from using them on either Sinking or Sink tip Lines on a 6,7 or 8wtRod it is virtually impossible to lift them to recast.
Brian
Old 09-18-2012, 08:26 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Marco,
A local Spey Casting Instructor 'Guru' I've been working with strongly recommends that a person who wants to learn to spey cast start with a spey rod instead of a 'switch rod'. The guy seems to know what he's talking about.

Don't mean to 'jack' Ard's thread, just wanted to pass that on to you.
My problem is when I do get on the water I want to chase fish. The desire to master something new sort of fades.There's really not substitute for time on the water but again this damn job always seems to get in the way. March is the only month I'm not chasing fish so I guess I will have to try to find the time then.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:08 PM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

Nice, Ard. Those Derek Browns are fun rods. I've considered selling mine at times on account of my home rivers being small to medium so I just don't use it much, but when I do.... You get the feeling like you're actually "spey" casting like it was meant to be done,..deep flex, strong powerful tip, long stroke. I'm gonna hang on to it just to hand to my son someday and say "here's a real 2 hander". I wish I lived near the Thompson so I could fish it on a regular basis.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Hi Brady,

I'm going to shop for a lighter model over the winter. I know they made several weights and would like to have a lighter one for trout & steelhead. As things are catching fish on this one is fun enough. Remind me which weight you have and what you have on for line please.

Ard