The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 01:27 PM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Yeah It's Heavy but Man Does It Ever Cast!

I have the 8/9 lined with an 8/9 Accelerator. If you want to go lighter I would look for the 7/8 cause the 8/9 is pretty beastly,..might not be a big enough drop down from your 10/11.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Then I figured out why I like heavier rods over the light stuff, a heavy rod has the mass to almost load itself and I'd bet if you were to exaggerate your back stroke when forming the D-loop that rod will fire the 775 like it was shot from a gun. The only downside is you will need alot more room to form the D-loop.
I had never considered the "a heavy rod has the mass to almost load itself" thing before, but it makes sense. I wonder if that makes it easier to learn with a big rod than a small one? I would think so.

As for the casting shootout with Ard, is it OK if I cheat and bring the 17' 11 wt.? I has one of hose "no Ax-e-dent" Carron lines spooled up and ready to go. Yeeeehaaa!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I knew it wouldn't be long before a Spey addict posted here again there is no way I can reach out like you do Dan, I've seen the video's. Every now & then I hit it just right and surprise myself. Right now the rivers are at 'Actionable' stage from Talkeetna to Seward and all around Prince William Sound so I won't be fishing for a while unless I find one that isn't near flood stage

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
there is no way I can reach out like you do Dan, I've seen the video's.
Yah, but you just got that rod. Give it another summer and I'll bet you can. At least till I get the 17'er figured out. (insert evil laugh here)
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:02 PM

addni is on a distinguished road

That's not a rod Ard. That's a weapon of mass destruction...erh....fishing.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:08 AM

speycracker is on a distinguished road

I'm a new member and this is my first post. I have used my 15' Scott off of my guide's boat on Georgia's Lake Lanier many times. Casting a sinking line in near darkness is an adventure with my poor eyesight. The long rod keeps the line well clear of the boat and occupants. If I pick up a shorter rod, my first "hookup" is usually the trolling motor.

Joe
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Yah, but you just got that rod. Give it another summer and I'll bet you can. At least till I get the 17'er figured out. (insert evil laugh here)
Hey Dan,

As you know I'm still ice bound and........ I've lined the old Hardy with a Carron 10/11 with a 65' belly. I am looking forward to breakup buddy.

For those who like me, had forgotten this thread................... Well I did what I said a few years ago that I was not going to do. Since I started this thread, I bought 2 more Spey rods. That makes 5 in a little less than 4 years I have 17 single hand fly rods and promised myself I wouldn't get nuts on the longer rods but, stuff happens. In this case stuff = a 15 foot 7 weight Winston and A 13 foot Hardy marksman in #8 just to see if I like the action. I know the Winston will be traditional and powerful and the Hardy is called the 'T' series, T being traditional action for long belly lines.

It's gonna be a very busy spring with my rod rack in the boat loaded with rigged Spey outfits to use. I'm not sure it can get better but I'm willing to accept it if it does

Old 04-14-2013, 09:59 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

With all those rigged 2handers sticking up in the air you're going to look like WW2 German Command boat as you zip up the river.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Hi Fred,

On some channels you gotta be mindful that there are rods sticking that high up. There are places where I have to run right close to cut banks and keeping the rods in mind is real important.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice

Fantastic thread!

But as someone from the UK - born and bred with a 15fter in the hand I have to tell you guys out West that they are delicate instruments not canons!

You can be casting a gentle 75ft all day long with the minimum of fuss and effort. You'll come off the water relaxed and smiling. Your fly control will be perfect and easy and heavy flies can be used no problem. What is more with Spey casting you can cast with gales blowing all around you - who cares - bring it on!

Spey casting with a double handed rod should be almost silent - not swish, swish, heave and thrash. I know it’s good to let loose the testosterone occasionally but I can think of better places to do that! If you are a 'thrasher and thrower' then change hands. Use your weaker hand upper most (if conditions allow). You will soon cast much better.

What you REALLY, REALLY, should not do is think these are distance casting machines. That is missing the whole point. If I wanted distance I'd go for a single handed setup and double haul.

They are delicate fishing instruments – and I can assure you - once you treat them as such – it is life (well fishing) changing!
Hardyreels and fysh like this.