The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 07:30 PM

speycracker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Yeah It's Heavy but Man Does It Ever Cast!

cb,
You are so right. A 15 foot rod plus a 15 foot leader plus 45 feet of line outside the rod tip gives you a 75 foot cast. no stripping, false casting, double hauling, or line management problems to deal with. A totally relaxing way to fish.

Joe
Old 06-29-2013, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Joe,

I just spent a few days with my 15' Winston DBS 7/8 doing exactly what we are referencing and couldn't agree more. I haven't used the old Hardy this year because the Winston just works so easily.

I'm going to use a 13' tomorrow on a smaller river here,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-29-2013, 08:19 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Ard,

Great to see you've had more than just a few hours or a day here or there to get into some fishing! It's about time!

How'd you end up doing?
Old 06-30-2013, 01:27 PM

speycracker is on a distinguished road

Ard,
My 15' rod is a #10. Casting a 7 or 8 in the same length must be amazing. With advancing age I am more careful to use tackle and techniques that don't stress my joints and soft tissues.

Joe
Old 06-30-2013, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jason,

Your flies are great fish catchers and I don't know how many trout I caught but it was enough that counting didn't make sense I will be fishing my home river tomorrow for kings and will give your AK. Assassin tube a go first thing. I'll be using that 13' Hardy Marksman because the runs are not wide enough to need the 15' rod.

This is pretty typical of the trout caught;
Click the image to open in full size.

I only messed around with a couple pictures due to the hassle of trying to handle the long rod - a flopping fish and etc. When I land a truly large one I'll be sure to get a photo.

I ordered one of the Nomad Composite nets in the Guide model. It'll have the clear rubber net and will be 45" long with a 13 X 18" hoop. Once I figure out how to carry it, it'll make capturing a trout and being able to get a snapshot much easier. I have not been using nets for around 20 years except for fishing for small fish. With the guiding business it has come time that I be ready to net a fish when necessary.

I only caught 1 grayling but probably could have done much better had I changed to a small fly like the Jock O' Dee. I was having so much fun with your tube intruder that I couldn't bring myself to change it off the line either day.

Maybe I'll photograph a king tomorrow huh
fysh and jaybo41 like this.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:13 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Ard,

Great to hear those flies were productive yet again Even better, that the conditions up there are favorable enough for you to get onto the river and swing some flies at them. I'm certainly looking forward to more reports.

I'd imagine it would be about that time for you to get yourself a net, the one you've got on order sounds like a pretty substantial one! The rubber nets, while a little bit on the heavy side, are the way to go. Flies pop out much easier when tangled and I think take less slime off of the fish. You'd think they wear a little bit better than a mesh net but keep an eye on it. I was out last year with a guide and noticed that his rubber net had some holes in it, large enough for a fish to get caught in. He had no idea but promptly fixed it in the field with some tippet. You probably won't have to worry about that for a while though

I'd imagine that after swinging that Winston around for a while, the Hardy will be an easy task. That Winston is one heckuva rig! Hopefully you get to put that Uniqua to a good test on a King, or twelve
Old 10-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Time to bring this thread into 2013;

I picked up a Carron Jetstream 10/11 line with a 65' head last November. I had been long suspecting that the 70' 700 grain line was too light and so contacted the folks at Carron in Scotland. It took a while for them to find staff who knew my rod (1981) but they did. This man recommended the 10/11 and I can tell you that he nailed it for me. The line unlocked the rods power and I am thrilled with it now.

There were drawbacks to the line change, the big fat Jetstream would not fit my Cascapedia reel so I loaded it to an Orvis Vortex 9/10 where it fit easy. Why the heck I couldn't stop there I really don't know but I had to have another reel.

Click the image to open in full size.

That's the rod with its new 4 1/4" Wide Spool Perfect mounted. I could have bought waders....... I could have gotten a couple 55 gallon drums of gas to take to the cabin......but I got another reel. It will not stop me from getting waders & gas and I believe it'll grow on me.

It isn't any lighter than my Cascapedia or Vortex so I still carry the weight. I can tell you that when it comes to hurling a huge bunny Sculpin with a weighted head across the river 85 - 90 feet away, a heavy rod with a heavy line is the ticket. I enjoy this
fyshstykr, mcnerney and fredaevans like this.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:55 PM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

Hey Ard, if you ever decide to get rid of the 7/8 give me a holler. I'm not holding my breath, just sayin...
Old 11-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb View Post
Hey Ard, if you ever decide to get rid of the 7/8 give me a holler. I'm not holding my breath, just sayin...
Hi Brady,

My guess is that I'll keep the 7/8 Winston I fish so infrequently where I can really let it work that I've yet to really understand what it will do. I'm going to try it next day out with an Ian Gordon 70' belly which weighs 700 grains. The Delta Long I'm using seems heavy and I'm hoping the Partridge line will work out. It was way light for the old Hardy rod so I figure I may catch a break here.

If ever I decide to sell the DBS 15' 7/8, I'll remember this thread.

Ard
bradyb likes this.