The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 12:52 AM

Jeffo is on a distinguished road
Default Beulah 10'8" 7 weight Platinum Switch for Michigan and westcoast steelhead

I am looking at the Beulah 10'8" 7 weight Platinum Switch, but need help matching with reel, line, and heads?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:36 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beulah 10'8" 7 weight Platinum Switch for Michigan and westcoast steelhead

Head choice is easy. Beulah made heads specifically for its rods.
Scandi - Elixir Switch 375 grains
Skagit - Tonic Switch 400 to 425 grains (I would err towards 425 grains if you are going to use T-14 tips)

Running line - Take your pick. Keep the diameter around .024" if you really want the line to fly or a .030" if you want something easy to handle.

Reels - Get a quality reel that is rated 9/10. If you are fishing the icy Michigan region, I would steer away from cork drag reels. The drag plate can ice up making the drag system useless. You could look at a Bauer Rogue 5, Ross CLA 5, Hatch 9 Plus Finatic.

Dennis
Old 10-01-2012, 12:33 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beulah 10'8" 7 weight Platinum Switch for Michigan and westcoast steelhead

+1 to MP's comments above. Only thing I'd add is the CLA reels are 'inexpensive' and excellent.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:03 PM

MacSuibhne is on a distinguished road

I have that rod with a 425 gr. Rio short skagit head.

I love the rod...mostly. It's my first 2H'er and I'm a novice at 2H but when I relax and get in the groove, it goes pretty good.

I have a 3.5 Lamson Velocity Nickle on it and it balances the rod almost perfectly. That said, 30# backing, running line, and the head fill it up pretty good...not enough to affect the landing of a fish but if I had my druthers it would have been a 3-3/4" instead (they don't make it, AFAIK)
Old 01-18-2013, 11:10 AM

bobevans is on a distinguished road

As a new spey rodder, why would I put a 9/10 reel on a 7 wt rod? Respectfully, Bob

Last edited by bobevans; 02-25-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:23 AM

MacSuibhne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobevans View Post
As a new switch rodder, why would I put a 9/10 reel on a 7 wt rod? Respectfully, Bob
Of course it depends on the reel, but many contemporary wide arbor reels that are listed for a size seven line won't hold the sufficient backing, running line and the @400gr head...if you go with a head...without rubbing the frame.

I bought a 3.5+ Lamson Velocity nickle for my 7wt. switch and ended up having to remove backing to fit the line in the reel.

It worth remembering that a 7wt spey line is often equivalent to a 9wt single handed line.

And beyond that...there's no downside in putting a little bit bigger and heavier reel on a 2H rod. Better a bit heavy than too light--for your fishing comfort.

YMMV
Old 02-17-2013, 03:50 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

Abel's new switch reel, $480, is a click/pawl reel that is really nice. I have it on my 6 wt Beulah Switch and you'd like it on the 7 wt.