The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 09:30 PM

zeolite will become famous soon enough
Default What switch rod?

OK it is my birthday soon and I want a 10-11 foot 5 weight switch. It seems that Allen don't do the Olympic series any more so I would like some suggestions. Orvis and Sage are way out of my price range (college fees, wedding etc) and I am not very familiar with US manufacturers. So, please give me your recommendations.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What switch rod?

Echo and TFO have some pretty nice switch rods that would fit into the price point your probably looking at.

As far as shorter Spey Rods, I think there are some of the Echo 'Dec Hogan' models (aka Decho's) in 12' 2" 5wt still around. They went out of production last year so Echo could come out with the 'Dec Hogan 2's' this year. Here's one on ebay at the moment.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Echo-DH-Spey...item2c59abfe14

Have you asked Justin if he has any of the 'Olympics' laying around?

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default What switch rod?

You'll love the deer creek rod. It's a deep loader and a powerful rod. Fun to cast.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:14 PM

I am used to using big spey rods for atlantics back in Scotland but need something smaller for North Platte trout.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 AM

MacSuibhne is on a distinguished road

I have the Beulah Platinum 10'8" 7wt. Not the line weight you want but I can tell you that you cannot go wrong with the Beulah Platinum series. The one I own is a light saber.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:19 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Good site here, but for 'used equipment' sign up/sign in on the SpeyPages web forum. Thing is presently 'stuff' with gear for sale.

Fred
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeolite View Post
OK it is my birthday soon and I want a 10-11 foot 5 weight switch. It seems that Allen don't do the Olympic series any more so I would like some suggestions. Orvis and Sage are way out of my price range (college fees, wedding etc) and I am not very familiar with US manufacturers. So, please give me your recommendations.
Hello, We are revamping the Olympic series with a mix of Switch and Spey rods in the same series. We are in the production process now. If you are needing something now. I would have to agree with delopez. The TFO is a good product.

Thanks

Justin
delopez likes this.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

I feel like I should wait for an Allen but the urge is too strong!
Old 02-10-2013, 04:30 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Hit the SpeyPages; tons of 'for sale' at the moment.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:34 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

You could always get the Allen when you buy your second switch rod. You know they'll be a second