The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/spey-rods-switch-rods-fly-fishing-tackle-talk/)
-   -   4 or 5 weight switch rod (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/spey-rods-switch-rods-fly-fishing-tackle-talk/311988-4-5-weight-switch-rod.html)

flyfishingbum 02-26-2013 03:28 PM

4 or 5 weight switch rod

I'm about to purchase my first switch rod - likely an Echo SR. I will be using it for trout and will probably end up nymphing under an indicator quite a bit. Would a 4 weight switch rod be appropriate large stonefly nymphs and split shot under a large indicator? Or should I go with the 5 weight?

Thanks...

MoscaPescador 02-26-2013 06:33 PM

Re: 4 or 5 weight switch rod

I'd bump it up to the five weight if you are going to throw a lot of hardware.

Dennis

billyspey 02-26-2013 07:16 PM

Switch is just a short Spey and Spey line in relation to single hand rods is 2 or more line weights heavier. So if you are thinking in single terms a 5 wt. would be a 3wt Spey or switch . Don't mean to confuse . I use a 3wt Spey for trout and smallmouth bass . Fishing weighted nymphs and streamers using a Steve Godshall 235 grain indicator line with standard trout leader very enjoyable.

Guest1 02-26-2013 07:30 PM

Of your choices, I'd go the 5 as well.

caseywise 02-26-2013 07:32 PM

yeah, i'd take the heavier weight as well.

fredaevans 02-27-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyspey (Post 531285)
Switch is just a short Spey and Spey line in relation to single hand rods is 2 or more line weights heavier. So if you are thinking in single terms a 5 wt. would be a 3wt Spey or switch . Don't mean to confuse . I use a 3wt Spey for trout and smallmouth bass . Fishing weighted nymphs and streamers using a Steve Godshall 235 grain indicator line with standard trout leader very enjoyable.

Very similar here. I've a 3/4/5 Meizer 'trout spey' lined with one of Steve's (280 grains, also have a 320 grain for a4wt) custom cuts for a 3wt. Usually casting a size 8 to 10 bead head nymph of some sort. Tip that off with a 7' sinking furled leader (FurlGirl built) and a few feet of flrocorbon leader and you have one cool 'trout rod.' I can easily hit 90' with this rig.

Only problem is at that range you have almost no idea where your flies happen to be. You have to look down the line and 'mentally' add a few feet to get some sort of idea where you're actually fishing.
:popcorn:

billyspey 02-27-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 531454)
Very similar here. I've a 3/4/5 Meizer 'trout spey' lined with one of Steve's (280 grains, also have a 320 grain for a4wt) custom cuts for a 3wt. Usually casting a size 8 to 10 bead head nymph of some sort. Tip that off with a 7' sinking furled leader (FurlGirl built) and a few feet of flrocorbon leader and you have one cool 'trout rod.' I can easily hit 90' with this rig.

Only problem is at that range you have almost no idea where your flies happen to be. You have to look down the line and 'mentally' add a few feet to get some sort of idea where you're actually fishing.
:popcorn:

I agree my buddy has the same Meizer great casting rod .mine is a ACR 11'9" 3wt. We swap when we fish together fish both.really enjoy both.can't go wrong with either.

fredaevans 02-27-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyspey (Post 531613)
I agree my buddy has the same Meizer great casting rod .mine is a ACR 11'9" 3wt. We swap when we fish together fish both.really enjoy both.can't go wrong with either.

Don't 'own' Gary's rod, but like you, have cast same. One Sweet Stick!
fae

spnyfish 05-04-2013 07:23 PM

I have an ACR 1173 and an ACR 1205 an the 5 is def better for throwing hardware. The lighter rods are great for soft hackles and waking dries. I would go with the 5 for that setup.

fredaevans 05-04-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spnyfish (Post 552954)
I have an ACR 1173 and an ACR 1205 an the 5 is def better for throwing hardware. The lighter rods are great for soft hackles and waking dries. I would go with the 5 for that setup.

The 5wt I have, and a great low water Steelhead rod. Summer or Winter here on the Rogue. :fishing: