The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By swirlchaser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 08:07 PM

jamescrawford is on a distinguished road
Default buelah review

im in the market for a 13'6 8/9wt spey rod. buelah is almost half the price of companies such as orvis and g. loomis. any reason why there is such a tremendous difference in price?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:27 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buelah review

Labor costs. The guys at Beulah design their rods here in the states, but they have their rods made overseas.

An 8/9 is a heavy stick. What do plan on using it for?

Dennis
Old 03-18-2013, 08:41 PM

jamescrawford is on a distinguished road

i plan on using it for striped bass from the surf mainly, but also steelhead in the NE.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:42 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Cool. I have heard good things about the Classic 8/9.

Dennis
Old 03-19-2013, 05:21 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I had the Classic 7/8 and it handled 15 pound atlantic salmon just fine. Sort of wish I hadn't sold it...it was a nice rod and good looking, too!
Gary
Old 03-19-2013, 09:30 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescrawford View Post
im in the market for a 13'6 8/9wt spey rod. buelah is almost half the price of companies such as orvis and g. loomis. any reason why there is such a tremendous difference in price?
I fish the surf with a two hander. I've fished the Buelah Classic, it is a great rod but I'm going to throw a wrench in the works here. I spent over an hour with Nick Curcione the last time he was in NJ. I was playing with the new TFO Pandion and fell in love with it. Mine should be here next week
Old 03-20-2013, 07:31 AM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

I used to think that price meant quality or a good rod. And, to some extent it does. I'm learning, late in life, that the things that make quality or a good rod have a lot more to do with how well I can use them and not nearly as much about price. I have several Beulah rods, and frankly they work just fine for me. Would a better caster get better results, in terms of casting distance, etc. from a more expensive rod? Maybe, but would he or she catch more fish?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:57 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by glcaddis View Post
I used to think that price meant quality or a good rod. And, to some extent it does. I'm learning, late in life, that the things that make quality or a good rod have a lot more to do with how well I can use them and not nearly as much about price. I have several Beulah rods, and frankly they work just fine for me. Would a better caster get better results, in terms of casting distance, etc. from a more expensive rod? Maybe, but would he or she catch more fish?
That's exactly why I mentioned the TFO, good performance and wins the price war
glcaddis likes this.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:16 AM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

I fish a 13'-2" 7wt Beulah Platinum Series Spey Rod. I love it! A bit expensive ($700ish) but well worth it. Being made overseas kinda sucks, but a lifetime warranty and a great casting rod make up for it.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:22 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

Beulah is a great company for spey rods. For the money they are hard to beat. In fact at that price point it's hard to argue for a better "bang for your buck" rod. That beulah classic has a stiffer butt section than the patinum series. If you want to mainly fish atlantics or great lakes tribs for steel than the classic series would be great for scandi-lines. If you plan to fish more with skagit lines and sink tips, the platinum series of rods would be a much better choice with a deeper flex and fast tip recovery. However, the platinum's such as the 7132 is a great scandi rod as well for those of us that prefer a deeper flexing rod even for scandi applications. Either way the beulah classics and platinum's are exceptional rods for the money and have a huge following in the spey community, you can't go wrong with either one, good luck.

I should also tell you that I don't own a beulah YET....I've fished the 7/8 classic, the 6126 and 7132 platinums all exceptional rods. Another nice thing about beulah is that the ferrule fittings are fit so well that you don't need to tape the ferrules under extreme load, wax will suffice under any load with these rods, at least this is what I was told by an instructor from spey nation. Something to consider.