The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By Glen Wright
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 11:03 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Switch Rods

Okay guys I'm in contract with a buyer on my house which should close by Wednesday. I'm going to buy a Condo for cash so I don't have anything to worry about doing on the weekends besides working on my new business and going fishing. Even after buying my Condo I will have a large sum left part of which I'm going to use to buy several rods and reels. I'd really like to give Justin all my business.

Do any of you experienced Spey casters own any of the Allen Switch Rods? My plan is to buy several switch rods for trout, Steelhead, Salmon,Striped Bass, and Surf fishing. Money is not really an object, but I really don't want to spend more than $500 each. I love Justin's single handed rods and reels more than any of the top of the line rods from the major players I've gotten to try while on club trips. However, I do not know anything about Spey and Switch Rods so I'm hoping some of you have experience with Allen Switch rods and whether they are as good or better then others.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 03-30-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:35 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switch Rods

Had the opportunity to cast one late last fall (a 6wt I think). Anyway, the rod had a custom cut line done by Steve Godshall here in Medford. Thing was like casting bullets.

ZING! And out the flies would go. So, if that one is representative of the line, I think you're in good shape.

Back to Steve for a moment. His CC's won't cost you a penny more than something off the shelf but each is an individual line designed for "The Rod," the fish to be chased, the conditions that would be the norm, your style of casting (and that's damned important!!), etc. Or in other words, you and I have the same rod but different fishing situations. The odds of you and I getting the same line are pretty small.

But as to 'rods for all Seasons' described above I'd suggest three: A 3wt (if available) for trout (anything else is just too heavy), a 5 for Steelhead and an 8 for really 'big stuff/water.' The first two may seem 'light' but (roughly) a 2hander rod designation will be about two rod weights above the 'same number' in a single hander.

Or one other option is to contact Bob Meiser (R B Meiser Rods) and have him build you one of his 3/4/5's. (Have one and LOVE IT!!). Ask Steve to build you a 3wt and a 5wt line and you've got two of the rod weights I've mentioned above in one stick. (Grain range on the rod is 250 - 400.)

Fred

Steve Godshall=541 840 2594
FlyBum and baseman1 like this.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

uote=fredaevans;542244]Had the opportunity to cast one late last fall (a 6wt I think). Anyway, the rod had a custom cut line done by Steve Godshall here in Medford. Thing was like casting bullets.

ZING! And out the flies would go. So, if that one is representative of the line, I think you're in good shape.

Back to Steve for a moment. His CC's won't cost you a penny more than something off the shelf but each is an individual line designed for "The Rod," the fish to be chased, the conditions that would be the norm, your style of casting (and that's damned important!!), etc. Or in other words, you and I have the same rod but different fishing situations. The odds of you and I getting the same line are pretty small.

But as to 'rods for all Seasons' described above I'd suggest three: A 3wt (if available) for trout (anything else is just too heavy), a 5 for Steelhead and an 8 for really 'big stuff/water.' The first two may seem 'light' but (roughly) a 2hander rod designation will be about two rod weights above the 'same number' in a single hander.

Or one other option is to contact Bob Meiser (R B Meiser Rods) and have him build you one of his 3/4/5's. (Have one and LOVE IT!!). Ask Steve to build you a 3wt and a 5wt line and you've got two of the rod weights I've mentioned above in one stick. (Grain range on the rod is 250 - 400.)

Fred

Steve Godshall=541 840 2594[/quote]

Fred, Thank you so much! So I'll go with the Allen's and give Steve a call. Now I'm really excited! Once they arrive, I'll take some Spey casting lessons from Jeff Putnam I plan to really learn these rods, because from what I've read and seen I believe they will really up my game.
fredaevans likes this.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 03-30-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:21 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Switch Rods

Good answer on time on the water with the Jeff'ster. Fellow knows his 'stuff.'

fae

Forgot to add, tell Steve 'I sent him your way.' Have a new rod and I need to line same up. Maybe I get a 5% discount?
:>)

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

The lighter the rod, the smaller the fly needs to be (in most cases). You can 'up fly' but you're talking about a heavier tip-it-up to get same to lay out on the water.

fae
FlyBum likes this.

Last edited by fredaevans; 03-30-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Good answer on time on the water with the Jeff'ster. Fellow knows his 'stuff.'

fae

Forgot to add, tell Steve 'I sent him your way.' Have a new rod and I need to line same up. Maybe I get a 5% discount?
:>)

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

The lighter the rod, the smaller the fly needs to be (in most cases). You can 'up fly' but you're talking about a heavier tip-it-up to get same to lay out on the water.

fae
I'll be sure to tell him.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:38 AM

Works for me. And if this is your 'first buy,' obviously, be prepared for a long conversation.

I've seen Steve's note book, and he does keep notes.
FlyBum likes this.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:32 PM

eastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rough

Fred, is there a web site link for Steve ?

Thanks