The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 12:15 PM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Looking for a beginner switch rod

I disagree that the Deer Creek switch is heavy and clunky, and it is certainly not "stiff". I've had the 5wt for about 3 years and it is a gem of a rod. The 5wt is well suited for fish up to 2-6 pounds. I once caught a 10lbr on it and it handled it but I would not use it to target fish of that size. A firm tipped rod that bends well into the bottom 1/3rd. One of the nicest "light" rods I've used for digging up sink tips.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:52 PM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

I've been fishing an 11'-6" Moriston Convert switch rod for about a month now, and I think it casts really well! It's fun to cast spey style on a lake. Nothing I ever thought I'd try but I'm glad I did!
Old 11-06-2013, 03:04 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I am sure there is place for switch/spey rods in the lakes perhaps in the near future the line manufacturers will come up with specialized switch/spey lines for stillwater fishing.
I am somehow leaning more to the 5wt 11' and just need a couple inputs to put that Switch rod into the shopping cart.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebum View Post
I've been fishing an 11'-6" Moriston Convert switch rod for about a month now, and I think it casts really well! It's fun to cast spey style on a lake. Nothing I ever thought I'd try but I'm glad I did!
What rod weight is the rod and what specifies that you are after?
Old 11-07-2013, 09:16 AM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

I have their 5wt switch rod loaded with a WF5F overhead line. I bought it because the butt handle can be removed so that it fishes more like an overhead rod when I need it to.

I have found that I usually keep the butt handle on, and just false cast it using 2 hands on lakes. I can fish it all day that way with close to zero fatigue!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:09 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebum View Post
I have their 5wt switch rod loaded with a WF5F overhead line. I bought it because the butt handle can be removed so that it fishes more like an overhead rod when I need it to.

I have found that I usually keep the butt handle on, and just false cast it using 2 hands on lakes. I can fish it all day that way with close to zero fatigue!
I'll check it out. thank you.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:18 AM

It is a neck to neck race between the TFO Deer Creek 6wt 11' and Beulah 5/6 10'6". With the Allen 5wt 11' Olympic waiting for a mistake from the leaders to take over. Helios 5wt 11' is too far behind to recover.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:49 PM

MacSuibhne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
It is a neck to neck race between the TFO Deer Creek 6wt 11' and Beulah 5/6 10'6". With the Allen 5wt 11' Olympic waiting for a mistake from the leaders to take over. Helios 5wt 11' is too far behind to recover.
I have a Beulah Plat 10'8" 7wt. I like the action real well and I've had FFF certified 2 handed casting instructors tell me it is really a sweet rod.

I also have the Deer Creek 11' for a 4wt. Beautiful rod both visually and sweet on the river with a 7wt ambush. So easy to cast. But then you'd expect that--Bob Meiser helped design it. For the money, you simply cannot go wrong with the DC.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:17 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
You know, Allen is a small enough company that if you pick up the phone and caall, they might make you a nice package deal on rod reel and line, particularly if you'll take a scratch and dent on the reel. Just a thought.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:54 PM

I know Allen. I bought 2 reels from them and they are a great company with good products and customer service. I am difficult buyer but they were there answering my questions and requests. However, we all want the best value for our money.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:12 PM

Location: Central PA. Surrounded by the best trout water in the entire country.
pa cope will become famous soon enoughpa cope will become famous soon enough

+1 on the Redington Prospector. Fantastic stick for the money. But then again, i truly love Beulah rods. The fit, finish, and the way they fish, far exceed their price. Tight Lines, Jeff.