Looking for a beginner switch rod

runningfish

Reaction score
I've been tinkering about getting into the Switch rod for awhile and now I am going to take the plunge. I need some helps to choose the "right" rod and line for me. I am looking for 5 or 6 wt ±11 ft switch rod for trout and bass for about $250. I don't have any brand preferences.

The intended use is for stillwater reservoirs/lakes/ponds. The depth is ranging from 2'~10' from the bank. I am mostly fishing size 4-10 streamers, wolly buggers, leeches, bass poppers <= 2/O and a little bit of the slip bobber-buzzers rig. I don't know if there is a single utility line that can cover this vast array of depths and applications. I might even going to use my 8wt Rio Outbound for single handed rod if I have to.

I've been reading about the Redington New Dually Switch rod and their new Rio Chucker line, and Rio switch line. Do you guys have any inputs about them? I heard that the Sage VXP, Cabelas LSI or TFO Deer Creek were also great but a tad higher than what I am willing to pay.

Fly shops are saying great stuffs about their stock products, but I need second opinions from this forum.

glcaddis

Reaction score
I started with a switch rod, which was a very nice rod, but I spent several months trying to learn two hand casting techniques was getting quite frustrated. I got an older, longer rod and the casting became much easier. Once I had learned the basics, casting the switch became fun instead of frustrating. If you only want one rod, I'd suggest getting as long a rod as you consider "switch." The switch aspect, I think, is more about the weight of the rod than the length. A 12'6" 5 wt rod will likely be light enough to cast overhead.

fq13

Reaction score
Allen had some listed on sale a week or so back. They weren't much more than the cabelas, sub $200. But then I started adding up all the costes of lines and heads and the like and decided to wait. But both the Cabelas and Allen sales are excellellent.

runningfish

Reaction score
I didn't know that Allen also have the switch rod. I do have 2 of their Kraken 3 reels and really liking them. Their customer service is beyond excellent I shall have a look at their switch.

fq13

Reaction score
I didn't know that Allen also have the switch rod. I do have 2 of their Kraken 3 reels and really liking them. Their customer service is beyond excellent I shall have a look at their switch.
You have to go their deal of the week. Its the Olympic which they've disontinued while moving production to the US. What they have is what there is.

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
I own a numer of double handers both spey and switch and have tried out most of the popular switch rods out there. At the $250 price point your options are very limited and you wont get a very good rod for that money. However, at the $350 price point there are some good options. the TFO deer creek is okay, its a bit stiff, heavy and clunky, for the same price you could get the redington prospector 11' 6 weight, this rod is a gem for the price, in fact I believe at this price point it is unbeatable in lightweight, livelyness and smoothness. Btw, given that you will be fishing with large flies you should definetely go with a 6 weight not a 5. I have a 5126 z-axis, and It's my go-to trout spey rod, but it doesn't handle large streamers very well, a 6 would make more sense for that.

At $410 you could get yourself the beulah classic 11'6 6/7 weight, or 10'6" 6 weight classic switch at $395. Beulah is a top notch company for double handers, everyone in the spey community knows these affordable rods are ranked with rods costing twice as much. Research beulah rods and you'll find out what I am talking about. A friend of mine fishes the beulah 6126 platinum which cost him $400 on closeout price, and it fishes almost as nicely as my $750 5126 z-axis, so again buelah is worth a hard look if your willing to pay $400.

As for the VXP, it doesn't come in a switch, only a spey, the 5120 which is more like a 6 weight. the vxp 6129 can handle a 450 grain skagit, so its not a true 6 at all and would be overgunned for your application. Again, given the amount of money your looking to spend, the reddington prospector 11' 6 weight switch at $365 or the beulah classic switch 10'6" 6 weight at $395 or classic spey 11'6" 6/7 weight at $410 are your best options in my opinion. I think price to performance ratio, the beulah 10'6" 6 weight switch is one of the best two handers on the market, that is hard to dispute. Let me know if you have any more specific questions about these rods, I have fished all of them.

runningfish

Reaction score
I own a numer of double handers both spey and switch and have tried out most of the popular switch rods out there. At the $250 price point your options are very limited and you wont get a very good rod for that money. However, at the $350 price point there are some good options. the TFO deer creek is okay, its a bit stiff, heavy and clunky, for the same price you could get the redington prospector 11' 6 weight, this rod is a gem for the price, in fact I believe at this price point it is unbeatable in lightweight, livelyness and smoothness. Btw, given that you will be fishing with large flies you should definetely go with a 6 weight not a 5. I have a 5126 z-axis, and It's my go-to trout spey rod, but it doesn't handle large streamers very well, a 6 would make more sense for that.

At $410 you could get yourself the beulah classic 11'6 6/7 weight, or 10'6" 6 weight classic switch at $395. Beulah is a top notch company for double handers, everyone in the spey community knows these affordable rods are ranked with rods costing twice as much. Research beulah rods and you'll find out what I am talking about. A friend of mine fishes the beulah 6126 platinum which cost him $400 on closeout price, and it fishes almost as nicely as my $750 5126 z-axis, so again buelah is worth a hard look if your willing to pay $400.

As for the VXP, it doesn't come in a switch, only a spey, the 5120 which is more like a 6 weight. the vxp 6129 can handle a 450 grain skagit, so its not a true 6 at all and would be overgunned for your application. Again, given the amount of money your looking to spend, the reddington prospector 11' 6 weight switch at $365 or the beulah classic switch 10'6" 6 weight at $395 or classic spey 11'6" 6/7 weight at $410 are your best options in my opinion. I think price to performance ratio, the beulah 10'6" 6 weight switch is one of the best two handers on the market, that is hard to dispute. Let me know if you have any more specific questions about these rods, I have fished all of them.
Thank you for your detail insight, I really appreciated it.

An outfitter where I am mostly buying my stuffs is also recommending the Prospector 11'6wt for my type of fishing, I am considering the Allen Olympic 5wt 11' which is currently on sale, medium fast action, flex to the cork. They have good reviews as well, but they ran out of the 6wt. Do you know anything about them?
I know about the Beulah, and to be honest it is a pressure to fish with such great brand name for a noob like me and the price is above what I am willing to pay.

By the way, I don't have big hands, so I like smaller grip like the Zenith single hand. How is the grip on the Prospector?

bradyb

Reaction score
I disagree that the Deer Creek switch is heavy and clunky, and it is certainly not "stiff". I've had the 5wt for about 3 years and it is a gem of a rod. The 5wt is well suited for fish up to 2-6 pounds. I once caught a 10lbr on it and it handled it but I would not use it to target fish of that size. A firm tipped rod that bends well into the bottom 1/3rd. One of the nicest "light" rods I've used for digging up sink tips.

roguebum

Reaction score
I've been fishing an 11'-6" Moriston Convert switch rod for about a month now, and I think it casts really well! It's fun to cast spey style on a lake. Nothing I ever thought I'd try but I'm glad I did! :icon_wink

runningfish

Reaction score
I am sure there is place for switch/spey rods in the lakes perhaps in the near future the line manufacturers will come up with specialized switch/spey lines for stillwater fishing.
I am somehow leaning more to the 5wt 11' and just need a couple inputs to put that Switch rod into the shopping cart.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

I've been fishing an 11'-6" Moriston Convert switch rod for about a month now, and I think it casts really well! It's fun to cast spey style on a lake. Nothing I ever thought I'd try but I'm glad I did! :icon_wink
What rod weight is the rod and what specifies that you are after?

roguebum

Reaction score
I have their 5wt switch rod loaded with a WF5F overhead line. I bought it because the butt handle can be removed so that it fishes more like an overhead rod when I need it to.

I have found that I usually keep the butt handle on, and just false cast it using 2 hands on lakes. I can fish it all day that way with close to zero fatigue!

runningfish

Reaction score
I have their 5wt switch rod loaded with a WF5F overhead line. I bought it because the butt handle can be removed so that it fishes more like an overhead rod when I need it to.

I have found that I usually keep the butt handle on, and just false cast it using 2 hands on lakes. I can fish it all day that way with close to zero fatigue!
I'll check it out. thank you.

runningfish

Reaction score
It is a neck to neck race between the TFO Deer Creek 6wt 11' and Beulah 5/6 10'6". With the Allen 5wt 11' Olympic waiting for a mistake from the leaders to take over. Helios 5wt 11' is too far behind to recover.

MacSuibhne

Reaction score
It is a neck to neck race between the TFO Deer Creek 6wt 11' and Beulah 5/6 10'6". With the Allen 5wt 11' Olympic waiting for a mistake from the leaders to take over. Helios 5wt 11' is too far behind to recover.
I have a Beulah Plat 10'8" 7wt. I like the action real well and I've had FFF certified 2 handed casting instructors tell me it is really a sweet rod.

I also have the Deer Creek 11' for a 4wt. Beautiful rod both visually and sweet on the river with a 7wt ambush. So easy to cast. But then you'd expect that--Bob Meiser helped design it. For the money, you simply cannot go wrong with the DC.

fq13

Reaction score
You know, Allen is a small enough company that if you pick up the phone and caall, they might make you a nice package deal on rod reel and line, particularly if you'll take a scratch and dent on the reel. Just a thought.

runningfish

Reaction score
I know Allen. I bought 2 reels from them and they are a great company with good products and customer service. I am difficult buyer but they were there answering my questions and requests. However, we all want the best value for our money.