The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 07:29 PM

carnivorousnw will become famous soon enough
Default Single Handed Spey Setup Recommendations?

I have a 9' TFO TriCrX rod to setup for spey casting on my local rivers for winter steelhead. It's a fast action tip combined with a 8/10 Echo Ion large Arbor. Any recommendations on running line - shooting head setups. Also does anyone have experience in using t-tips on single handers? Nymphing or Skagit setups are in mind.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Single Handed Spey Setup Recommendations?

Hi,

Sorry that the post went so long with no replies, I'm not so sure that my post will help but here goes. Contact Steve Godshall, he custom cuts lines for most rods and from all reports is a genuine great asset to the Spey caster whether you are using a rod such as yours or a 15' 2 hand rod.

I am sending the contact info for him to you via PM right now.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-13-2013, 12:21 AM

Thanks I'll email him.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:49 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

People tell me that he is very willing to talk on the phone. In a quick call you will be able to articulate what you want a lot better than in an e-mail. Just my take on these type things

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-15-2013, 01:53 AM

troutless is on a distinguished road

What weight is your rod weighted?

An off-the-shelf Skagit possibility would be either a Rio Skagit Short, Beulah Tonic, or a Wulff Ambush.

T-material, T-11 or up, is going to be tricky given the grain windows of single-handers unless you have a fairly beefy rod, 9wt or up.

I have liked Rio Powerflex 0.024 on my single-hander-shooting-head setups.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:30 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

If I was you I would look into getting a triangle or triangle type taper for single hand spey. I have been single hand spey casting for quite some time now and have tried with a variety of lines and tapers, standard WF lines work okay for it but its nothing special, the d-loop formation isnt fantastic. Then I tried DT lines, and they worked pretty well for single hand spey, but again not amazing. Then I tried a line with a long front taper, belly and rear taper and I was blown away at how well it speys. Currently I am using the Airflo River & Stream for this, its one of the new lines in thier super-dri product line, and it has the airflo delta-taper, very well made for this purpose, it has a 19ft front taper, 16ft belly and 10ft rear taper. You can spey cast with the head inside the rod tip due to the long front taper, or with the whole head outside the rod for big casts. It handles heavy bugs and sinking poly-leaders very well too. You may want to consider this line. Another good line for this is the wulff triangle taper, I use this as well and it performs the same tasks only the head is much shorter if I want to shoot line on smaller rivers. Anyway, these would be my suggestions and I've had a lot of luck with them.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the replies. The wulff ambush and the new Rio max short or the max I short heads look like good heads to choose from. Any have any experience with these Rio heads?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2013, 10:15 PM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

Am I understanding right? Are you trying scandi heads with a one hander?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebum View Post
Am I understanding right? Are you trying scandi heads with a one hander?
No, I'm referring to skagit heads.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk