The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 06:04 PM

scorpion1971 is on a distinguished road
Default G.Loomis Pro 4X 5WT switch

I need help in picking a line for this rod. Loomis has recommendations of 320 grains for scandi and 350 grains for skagit. I am still new to using 2 handed rods so this is all new to me. Is this recommendation for the head+tips=350, or head+350 then add tips? Some one recommended I use the Wulff Ambush 9WT TT line which has a head of 350 grains with out tips. My Fly shop said if I use this line and add tips it would be too heavy to cast effectively.

I am not sure what the difference between scandi and skagit are besides skagit being able to cast heavy flies and sink tips. I am planning on using this rod mainly for LMB and SMB in the streams I fish. I also target white bass during their spring run and steelhead in Indiana tribs. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:32 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: G.Loomis Pro 4X 5WT switch

Look at the 5 weight Rio switch chucker. It's supposed to be the best of both worlds for nymph and streamer fishing. How do you like the 5 weight pro4x switch? I was looking at that versus an echo 3 six weight switch....
Old 12-10-2013, 03:36 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've gleaned so far:

Scandi lines generally have a longer front taper and are best used for lighter flies and without tips.

Skagit heads are short and heavy and work well with tips and heavier flies.

A nice compromise between these two is Airflo's Rage Compact. It's got a longer taper like the scandi line but has mass like a skagit.

Match your grain weight to the rod without factoring in tips.

Now where you have a decision to make is do you want heads or do you want a line with integrated running line. This really depends on how you fish. Heads give you versatility to swap out based on how and what you're fishing, but it's a bit more of an upfront investment. Cheaper though than a second spool and easier to port around.

A fully integrated line locks you in to one line unless you're going to have another spool. The Chucker line is certainly worth consideration, you should read though the discussion on it if you've not already done so.

Rio Switch Chucker Impressions

FWIW, I think your shop is right about the Ambush TTT line. Nothing against it, but if you're going to go with a head and integrated running line, Chucker is a better choice.

What kind of flies will you be using?
Old 12-14-2013, 06:41 PM

scorpion1971 is on a distinguished road

I am not sure what flies I will be using. I have decided to go with the Ambush TT-9-F line with 10' tips from Rio. The Tips will be the Intermediate, type 3, and type 6 #5 size. Two handed casting is all new. I am used to fishing small flies for gills and bass but plan to use some larger flies.

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojohn View Post
Look at the 5 weight Rio switch chucker. It's supposed to be the best of both worlds for nymph and streamer fishing. How do you like the 5 weight pro4x switch? I was looking at that versus an echo 3 six weight switch....
So far I really like the Pro4X 5wt switch. I have fished it twice with no luck catching anything. I have been able to cast the Ambush TT-5-F line even though it is too light for the rod to load it properly. I will be getting the Ambush 9wt line with some tips so may also need a new reel. Problem with that is finding one light enough to hold the line with backing in my budget.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:07 AM

easterncaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1971 View Post
I need help in picking a line for this rod. Loomis has recommendations of 320 grains for scandi and 350 grains for skagit. I am still new to using 2 handed rods so this is all new to me. Is this recommendation for the head+tips=350, or head+350 then add tips? Some one recommended I use the Wulff Ambush 9WT TT line which has a head of 350 grains with out tips. My Fly shop said if I use this line and add tips it would be too heavy to cast effectively.

I am not sure what the difference between scandi and skagit are besides skagit being able to cast heavy flies and sink tips. I am planning on using this rod mainly for LMB and SMB in the streams I fish. I also target white bass during their spring run and steelhead in Indiana tribs. Thanks for the help.
- In general, the recommendation is for Head alone. The purpose of the Skagit head is to PULL the tip out of the water. The tip stays on/in the water and the caster doesn't much feel it's wgt.. Tips can differ greatly from one caster to the next given their waters and fish.

- Scandi can be cast overhead without too much trouble.... actually quite nicely

Craig