The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 03:01 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

This tread is closed.

Last edited by runningfish; 12-30-2013 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Thread closed
Old 12-25-2013, 04:32 PM

scorpion1971 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Redington dually or Orvis access switch rod

If the 5wt is too much than why get a 7wt just for the deal? If you want a deal check out Sierra Trading Post. They have the Reddington CPX on closeout for 262.95. If you sing up for the dealflyer you can get an extra 30% off. They have the 10'6" 4wt according to there website.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:53 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I know the cpx are good rod and sierra is seliling them. But i dont want a cpx. The 4wt is a must for the trout but the 7wt is because of a good deal.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:26 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

I have to agree regarding not settling for 7 weight due to the deal. Also realize the access along with all orvis DH rods all have that super stiff fast action. Orvis switch rods have single hand rod tapers, so it's really just an 11' tip flex single hander w/ extended grip. The dually however has a nice swap loading action more conducive for Spey fishing. Btw, switch rods should only be used as compact Spey rods b/c they are very awkward and uncomfortable for single hand casting.

If I was you I would step it up to the reddington prospector that's a great rod. Or a TFO deer creek switch or Spey. At $350 these are great rods for the money. However, your best option for price to performance ratio are the Beulah classic switch or Spey rods. Heavy on performance and low on price, check em' out. Good luck
Old 12-25-2013, 08:26 PM

scorpion1971 is on a distinguished road

If you really want to go lighter I say go down to a 3 wt switch rod. The new Mystic 3 wt switch looks to be a real sweet rod. The 4 wt is not going to be much of an improvement over the 5 wt. If you have the money and want to push it some more look at Gary Anderson's 2 wt or 3 wt. The 2 wt is rated at 210 grains and the 3 wt at 250 grains.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:36 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I hear nothing but bad things from the Access line. I even have a friend who works for Orvis that says they are junk. Plus he has more Orvis friends who share the same thoughts.

I'm sure they have worked out for people, but I wouldn't buy one after speaking with him.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:49 PM

I heard about the mystic but i dont know anything about them. I might going to get the dually 4WT since i already have the beulah classic and wanted to try a different brand and forget the access. By the way, how different is the prospector to the dually?
Old 12-26-2013, 06:53 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
I know the cpx are good rod and sierra is seliling them. But i dont want a cpx. The 4wt is a must for the trout but the 7wt is because of a good deal.
You have to 'rod up' for the fish you're targeting. A 7wt is a Steelhead/Salmon rod and you'll never even know you've a trout on the fly. For trout the MAX two hander you want would be a 4wt; 3 is even better.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:42 AM

That is why i want to get the 4wt for the trout. The 7wt is just a good deal and wont be used much.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:37 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

I think you can go up to a 5 weight depending on the rod flex for trout. I have a z-axis 5126 and trout put a nice kick on this rod. I swing a lot of streamers and if I had a 4 or 3 weight it just wouldn't be enough mass to turn over those heavier rigs. It also works great with dries and 4X tippet. However, the z-axis bends to the cork so the trout can really pull on it, if it was a 5 weight sage TCX it would be overkill for trout.

The prospector has a faster tip recovery and smoother casting stroke than dually. The dually flexes deeper and is a more relaxed stroke.