The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 07:15 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default Redington CPX 10'6" 6 weight switch rod

Anyone have experience casting this rod? Rio is recommending the 6 weight switch chucker, which I think it can handle, even though it's a little heavier than some of the grain recommendations. It balances a Ross CLA 4 nicely and has a nice reel seat.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:22 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Redington CPX 10'6" 6 weight switch rod

Hi John,

It doesn't look good for finding anyone who is using one. You may have to do what I've done here which was to just line things up and go fish it. I've pretty much had to find all my line matches through trial & error but I did it using the discontinued lines that I was able to scoop up at a bargain.

My old hardy rod, I used 2 different lines that I got at really good prices on the auction site. The lines were about 3 years old each but I don't believe I had 50 dollars in both. Once I determined what didn't feel right I contacted Carron line company and although it took 2 weeks they found a man who was familiar with the rod I own. With his recommendation I bought a Carron Jetstream 10/11 in the 65' head and the rod is one of my best now.

All that which may not seem relevant just to say sometimes you just gotta work through this line vs. casting style thing. The rod I have is a 1981 13'9" Graphite rated #9 on the butt. I tried a 55' #9, I tried a 70' seven hundred grain Ian Gordon line, and once I put the Jetstream on it I just love using it. That line is much heavier than I would have went on my own so you'll have to have a go with the heavy line and see how you like it I guess.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-28-2014, 10:09 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Redington CPX 10'6" 6 weight switch rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojohn View Post
Anyone have experience casting this rod? Rio is recommending the 6 weight switch chucker, which I think it can handle, even though it's a little heavier than some of the grain recommendations. It balances a Ross CLA 4 nicely and has a nice reel seat.
I didn't actually cast the CPX with the Chucker #6, but I tried the chucker #6 with the Prospector 5wt. The Prospector can handle it just fine.