The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 07:48 PM

nvminer is on a distinguished road
Default Help with switch/Spey rod selection

So my I'm looking to get into the switch (or spey) rod game but I'm having trouble deciding which way to go. I want to fish high mountain Stillwater lakes and possibly overhead cast from a pontoon. I'm looking for something that's on the lighter side (4 or 5 weight for a 6-7wf equivalent). So far I have the Redington dually and the Scott l2h on my radar. I know there's a bit of a price difference between the two but I'm a huge fan of Scott. Any suggestions on which length/weight for my intended purpose? Should I go Spey for the still water rod and get a heavier line weight single hand for the pontoon? Any input is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Help with switch/Spey rod selection

Hi,

If you are going to be fishing still water and from a raft I would consider one of the very light weight 10 - 10.5 foot single hand rods and a really light reel to go with. The 2 hand rods, even the light ones are going to be a load doing over head casting all day.

Spey rods shine on medium to large rivers where you can use the current to assist with the fishing. I have done over head casting when fishing salmon in the ocean but never for more than an hour at once. Something else to consider, the Spey rod is pretty useless for fishing dries. There may be those who do it but I wouldn't go there.

If you were headed into river fishing I would say to get a 13 or 14' rod to start, then a switch for smaller streams.

Ard
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-08-2014, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the reply. I guess I could have been a bit more specific. The high alpine lakes that I fish are not very conducive to overhead casting, there's just too much brush on the banks. In that situation I would wade out and fish. Having the ability to cast farther with a Spey type cast would be awesome. The pontoon fishing that I would like to do would be more for reservoirs. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree but I was hoping to only purchase one rod that could handle smaller flies for the high lakes and slightly larger flies for the reservoirs.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Will you be fishing wet flies - nymphs - streamers? If so a rod around 12' with a shooting head like a Skagit head with good running line will get you out there 60' pretty easy.

You'll have to strip line back in until you get the head back to the rod tip. We have members here who are up to speed on the new rods available and hopefully one or more will spot this thread and join in. Once you settle on a rod I would recommend contacting Steve Godshall, if you Google that name you'll find his business with contact info. This guy will custom make a line to match both your rod and the type fishing you are doing. I am told that for all the help in solving the line issue his prices are very reasonable. He will talk to you via phone and be a big help in lining a rod. I believe he will make the line and include running line with. All you have to do is spool it up and go casting.

Ard
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-08-2014, 10:16 PM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough

I agree with Ard, using spey casts on stillwater is unusual, but I think some members here do it. Hopefully they'll chime in on how its done.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2014, 10:29 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I am mostly agree with Ard. Casting a switch rod from a pontoon will drain your battery no matter how light the rod is.

I am new to switch rod and still don't know what I am doing. 2014 is a no fishing year for me but I get to go practice once a month.

I am doing exactly what you are planning to do, using a 6wt 11ft switch rod for stillwater mountain lakes and reservoirs. Wade in about knee deep and spey casting the fly out. I don't fish the rivers, so I wouldn't know how it feels; but let me tell you that sustain anchor casts are much easier to do in stillwater than the touch and go.

Although, I don't have the Redington Prospector I have cast it with multiple of lines and the Prospector is very smooth and versatile. They are more expensive than the Dually but they are smoother and have better components.

To find the right rod is already a headache then come finding the line. This where Steve Godshall comes into play. I bought 2 custom cut lines from him and solve the line problem, he made me the 6wt switch rod as well. I am casting the scandi line with spey versileaders to cover various depths.

good luck, and Beware! once you switched you can't switch back.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:43 PM

Thanks runningfish, your input helps. Most likely I'll be fishing indicator nymph rigs, buggers/small streamers, and possibly some wet flies. From the research I've done, it seems like a Scandi style line with a versileader setup is what I'm looking for. I did search Steve Godshall and it sounds like a great solution. The other question I have would be regarding reels. Does anyone have experience with the hardy ultralight dd as a switch reel? Any other suggestions in that price range?
Old 02-09-2014, 02:03 PM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough

For indicator nymphing you won't really be able to mend if you cast more than the length of the scandi head because the thin running line isn't able to move the entire head. I believe Steve sells a 'mendable' running line which is thicker, but perhaps less ideal for swinging flies, and you still have a loop-to-loop connection going through your guides when nymphing. Most people who get into 2 hand rods seem to eventually aquire different line systems depending on the type of fishing they are doing. Personally I use a single hand steelhead/salmon line (uplined by 2 or 3) for nymphing and skagit or scandi heads for swinging.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:23 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I don't nymph at all, I do use leech under an indicator and it requires very little mending in still water. Both of my lines from Steve are integrated lines, since I strip the shooting head all the way in when I fish the streamers or buggers.

I don't know much about the Hardy reel, but I am using Allen Kraken 3, Orvis Access IV for Steve's lines. I picked up a Lamson Velocity 4 for Bonefish, baby tarpon and snook for the 6wt switch.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:36 AM

So thanks to my wife (who is pretty awesome by the way) I was able to pick up my switch rod and reel this weekend. I went with the Scott L2h 11' 6wt with a nautilus 7/8 fwx reel. I'm going to start with a rio switch chucker line (because I got a deal on it), but definitely look into the more custom ones you guys mention after I get the hang of things a little better. Thanks for the input everyone!