The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/spey-rods-switch-rods-fly-fishing-tackle-talk/)
-   -   WOOO...Tax time...considering new spey rod (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/spey-rods-switch-rods-fly-fishing-tackle-talk/346750-wooo-tax-time-considering-new-spey-rod.html)

king joe 03-15-2014 09:56 AM

WOOO...Tax time...considering new spey rod

SO...here in Canada...its that wonderful tax time. I am lucky this year, it seems, to be getting a winfall back from Mr. Harper. :punk:

With this, while I do have a spey blank on the "to do" list to build (13' 7wt, 500gr scandi), I am a bit behind on doing it...AND ITS SPRING STEEL FISHING (if it ever stops freaking snowing).

That said, I have a lead on a 13'4" GLX Dredger 7/8 wt for about $500. The Loomis site rates this in the low 500's skagit grains. I would look to load with skagit heads but don't want too much of an overlap between what I intend my spey build (above) to be.

So, couple questions....can anybody speak about this rod...effectively, a review of it?

And next, is this too much of an overlap between the 2 rods IF i ever complete the build?

Thanks in advance

King Joe Outa Here!

fyshstykr 03-15-2014 10:16 AM

Re: WOOO...Tax time...considering new spey rod

It's a Loomis rod....what more needs to be said?:)
Have you cast a spey rod before? The reason I ask this is, if you have not cast a spey rod before, buy this one and "get your feet wet" so to speak, learn the basic cast, get a feel for what's going on for a season or two, and then decide which direction you will need to go for your next rod.

Or you could buy this rod as a dedicated Skagit & sink tip rod for deeper water & heavier flies, and build another rod for a Scandi, mid-belly, or longer belly line rod for fishing smaller lighter flies.

I hope this helps.:)

fredaevans 03-15-2014 01:07 PM

First you didn't get a tax refund, you got back what you over paid. Period.

The rod mentioned above is a good one matched with the proper line ... and that's where it gets interesting. What-ever you decide to purchase have Steve Godshall build you the line(s) for same. :punk:

king joe 03-16-2014 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyshstykr (Post 649020)
It's a Loomis rod....what more needs to be said?:)
Have you cast a spey rod before? The reason I ask this is, if you have not cast a spey rod before, buy this one and "get your feet wet" so to speak, learn the basic cast, get a feel for what's going on for a season or two, and then decide which direction you will need to go for your next rod.

Or you could buy this rod as a dedicated Skagit & sink tip rod for deeper water & heavier flies, and build another rod for a Scandi, mid-belly, or longer belly line rod for fishing smaller lighter flies.

I hope this helps.:)

Hey fyshstykr

I have cast spey before....thought definately not pro. I took a course with Rick Whorwwod last year and worked through single roll, double spey and snap T. In the course, we used 13' loomis versaspeys with 540 skagit. I was snapping out casts easily with that set up. Since the course, I have been unsing my 11' switch with 7wt Rio Switch line. So, not pro...but not completely new.

All said, I like the way you think....though in the Canadian side of the Great Lakes...and the tribs I fish...I am not quite sure if these constitute 'deeper waters'. Still, I have always loved the look of the dredger (partial to green...hah).

The rod comes with Rio 475 grain Skagit.

Thanks for the responses guys

King Joe Outa Here!

jabrowning24 03-17-2014 02:59 PM

I will just speak on Loomis as a whole not this rod...
They make a great stick and you love it BUT if you break it you might as well throw it away. I have 3/4's of a $600 stick In my closet. They said they will sell my a new one at a 50% discount since the rod was discontinued SO if you buy it just hope they dont stop making that specific rod. I hope this helps with your decision.

king joe 03-24-2014 10:05 AM

SO....lots of research....lots of discussions including talking with a Loomis Pro....and picked up the Dredger, discussed above, yesterday. It is...going to be awesome! It is a beautiful rod...always have liked the look of it...and the feel when I fondled it at the fly shop. NOW, its mine! WOOOOooooo! :D

As noted, I also got line with it...and with that, got confused suddenly....and was reminded that I know so little about the world of spey and spey lines still. :confused:

The line, I had thought, was a 475gr skagit head. But the line spool....is not marked that way. It, the spool, is marked Rio Running Line....but the line itself is marked Rio 475gr.

Could I be over thinking this? Perhaps the guy I got the rod and line from 'just' put the skagit head on the running line spool?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

King Joe Outa Here!

dhaynes 03-24-2014 10:52 AM

Envious that you can consider a new rod with your tax repayment... I'll be thinking about which ones to sell to fund my tax bill!!!!

king joe 04-22-2014 11:12 AM

SO...and update on the new rod.

I got out for a little action on Easter Sunday. While I was out 3 days earlier, nymphing, the river was quite high and muddy. THIS time, the water had dropped significantly (still high) and cleared tons. :D

Armed with the new rod....I went to some good spey water (and water away from my 'friends', the float/bait rodders...rrrrrrrrrr :mad:).

And a couple things quickly became apparent as I stripped line out and began casting.
1) The 13'3" spey is NOT my 11' switch. Some adjustment needed with stroke and timing. :o
2) Shooting line....is easy...easier than the 11' switch. :rolleyes:
3) I am TERRIBLE at spey casting (a sad reminder) :o. Basically, I 'see' what I am to do including self-talking through the strokes...make the strokes needed...but can't shoot cleanly off the water without a false cast-type of motion. THEN, with the false cast, I am shooting easily 90+ feet.
4) I need work/practice. :rolleyes:
5) My shoulder felt great after many hours of spey casting. IF I had spent that same amount of time casting single hand, my nymph rig...my shoulder would have been seriously stressed.

On a good note, the above is not bad...just a realization.....I was successful at hooking up fish.

Landed 3 MONSTER Smallmouth...easily in the nearly 10 pounders. By-catch really as I am after steelhead....and smallies are not in season. Landed 1 small shaker/steelhead....and had a good handful or so more strikes. Likely, they were bass also but....strikes none-the-less. :cool:

I will be out again soon. Maybe this friday....hopefully, something will click in the brain...and I will be true spey casting (no false cast). :D

King Joe Outa Here!

cb 04-22-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king joe (Post 660569)
3) I am TERRIBLE at spey casting (a sad reminder) . Basically, I 'see' what I am to do including self-talking through the strokes...make the strokes needed...but can't shoot cleanly off the water without a false cast-type of motion. THEN, with the false cast, I am shooting easily 90+ feet.

This sounds like you are letting too much fly line be in contact with the water before you begin your forward cast. It should just be the last foot or so. If it is an airborne Spey cast (like Single Spey) this timing is tricky! You have to start earlier into your forward cast than you might think and the rod tip should be rising as the line lands - not going downwards which is a very common mistake.

Anyway - I'm just guessing what the problem is. It is great fun learning for yourself. Enjoy the journey!

Colin

fredaevans 04-22-2014 12:19 PM

KJ "Welcome to the Dark Side."

Fred