The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 10:39 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about
Default Newb question: Which Rod?

I fish waters were spey casting would be a benefit. Because of this I'm considering my first switch rod. I know nothing about spey casting yet. Here's what led me to this question:

I have been considering buying more fly rods to fill holes in my quiver. Here's what I already own

4wts - 7 & 81/2'
5wts - 8 1/2 & 9'
8wt - 9'

My holes are, as I see them, a longer 10' rod that could be used for nymphing and something between 5 and 8wts.

My questions are;
1. Is this sound logic or am I missing something?
2. Is there a certain weight/size switch rod that fits that all purpose dry, nymph, and streamer rod like the 9' 5wt does?
3. Is there some size that would work better for nymphing and streamers than a 10' 5wt?

Thanks!

Todd
Old 03-23-2014, 10:55 PM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Newb question: Which Rod?

Concerning the switch rod, the weight depends on the size of fish you are fishing for and size of fly you intend to cast (and depth of presentation).

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2014, 11:18 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_durden View Post
Concerning the switch rod, the weight depends on the size of fish you are fishing for and size of fly you intend to cast (and depth of presentation).

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
I'm thinking nymphs and streamers for trout primarily. Streamers could be broken up into woolly buggers up to Kelly Galloup size stuff. I realize that the larger streamers could effect the rod weight.

If you can, I would still like answers to the questions I asked. Knowing this will help create a base of information so I can begin to understand the differences in the types of rods (standard vs switch) or if there is a difference other than length and ease to spey cast with.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2014, 11:50 PM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough

Spey and switch rods really shine when you want to swing flies. For nymphing I would honestly just stick with the rods you already own and maybe learn some of the single hand spey casts. I often use a single hand double spey when nymphing but to be honest, a rollcast or waterloaded chuck and duck type cast work almost as well.

For swinging streamers to trout I think switch rods work well. If you're only interested in casting moderate size streamers (up to a moderately weighted #6 buggar for instance) then I would look at the lightest production switch rods available. If, on the other hand, you're interested in the big, articulated streamers up to ~4" long then you need a heavier rod, something that is matched to a ~350 grain skagit head for instance. These heavier rods generally overpower any trout smaller than ~18-20" though.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:09 AM

If this is the case, I may skip buying any more regular rods and begin learning about Spey casting.

Can anyone tell me if there is a switch rod weight that would fit that all around definition the 9' 5wt currently holds for trout fishing?

If I was going to throw Kelly Galloup size streamers, what switch rod weight would that be?

Is a switch rod something that would handle dry flies well or would I be carrying a second rod for that?

Thanks,

Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-24-2014, 12:25 PM

jabrowning24 will become famous soon enoughjabrowning24 will become famous soon enough

Pm sent on switch rod
Old 03-24-2014, 01:37 PM

Got it. Thanks!

For everyone else, I'm still looking for answers to my above questions...

Old 03-25-2014, 08:35 AM

Judging by the lack of response, I'm clearly missing something when it comes to switch/Spey rods. I'm going to make a trip to my local fly shop and sit down with someone who can give me a better understanding.