The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 11:01 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Echo SR 10'6" 3wt - anyone use one of these rods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheflyguide View Post
I have one! It cast the longer 5wt, wf tapers (LTS SX, Delta's and such) well, but honestly, My single handers spey cast as well. The one advantage it has, besides the cool factor, is that it mends way better.
Thanks, I had forgotten about this thread...which means I had also forgotten about this rod - so fickle we are. But now of course I am thinking about it again!

Do you mean to say that you can just as easily roll spey casts with a standard 5 wt fly rod as with this two handed rod? I believe you, but it's probably because you learned the motion with a two-handed rod.

I really want the 10 and a half feet for the reach and as you point out the mending ability. It would be handy when nymphing big water.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:49 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I don't actually have that rod, but I have a custom build 4/5/6 wt 350~460 grain switch rod. In actual fishing situation it would be very rare for me to cast the switch rod overhead. No matter how light the rod is, it would be too tiring. and overhead casting with a shooting head is a pain in where the sun don't shine even with the integrated running line and hard on the tip. I think this type of rod should be called Mini Spey, the overhead casting ability was just the marketing stuffs since you will eventually spey cast with it for the majority of time.

FYI, my switch rod cast as low as 265grain or 6wt single hand line if I wanted to fish dry or micro leech with indicator within limited distance and I am mostly using 290grain (custom cut) with 425grain custom cut for a hail mary cast. The good thing about having it is my single hand spey cast improves a lot, even with my 4wt 9ft and using a no brand 5wt line.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:35 PM

ontheflyguide is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Thanks, I had forgotten about this thread...which means I had also forgotten about this rod - so fickle we are. But now of course I am thinking about it again!

Do you mean to say that you can just as easily roll spey casts with a standard 5 wt fly rod as with this two handed rod? I believe you, but it's probably because you learned the motion with a two-handed rod.

I really want the 10 and a half feet for the reach and as you point out the mending ability. It would be handy when nymphing big water.
I can cast my 9' 6wt as far as I can my 10'6" 3wt Echo, but you have to consider the 9' single hander is a higher quality rod also, having better graphite, also costing a tad more.