The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 01:29 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Echo SR 10'6" 3wt - anyone use one of these rods?

I've been thinking about switch rods for a year or so and the more I read and learn about them the less I've wanted one. The nomenclature "switch" supposedly means that the rod can be used to spey cast or overhead cast, but what I've learned is really very few of these rods are used to overhead cast. Most of them require a spey line set-up which from what I can gather greatly reduces the casting fishing options. What I've wanted, what I though the rods were, is a long fly rod capable of two-hand roll casting with the versatility for fishing either a nymph rig or swinging wets/streamers - for trout. In order to truly "switch" from bobber nymph fishing with a weighted rig to swinging flies the rod needs to be able to cast a standard fly line, at least in my book. I am not interested in switching shooting heads, sinking tips, and leaders.

Then I read about the new rod Echo added to their "SR" line of rods. These are lighter, trout fishing switch rods. The new addition is a 10'6" 3wt. I am intrigued because the line recommendation from Rajeff is a WF 5wt line. This is pretty much exactly what I thought I wanted but that didn't really exist.

Who has one of these rods? Please tell me about it.

I'm not a diehard nymph fisherman but last weekend while fishing all day with a weighted nymph rig under a bobber I realized how nice it would be to have a longer rod, and to have the ability to more easily roll cast that rig out and fish a bit further away. Sometimes, like right now, if you want to catch fish nymphing is the only option.
wannafish likes this.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:44 PM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Echo SR 10'6" 3wt - anyone use one of these rods?

Concerning 'switching' between nymphing and swinging, I don't really think its the rod that's the limiting factor but rather the line. If you're overhead casting a heavy nymph rig, for instance, you want a wf line that has weight at the front of the head and a long rear taper for mending. If you're spey casting a heavy streamer, you want a line that has weight concentrated at the rear of the head with a relatively short rear taper. These are generalizations that are particularly important when casting heavy flies and/or shot. If the flies you are casting are light with respect to the rod class then I think a general taper like a long head wf line would work fine for both applications.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:27 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

A Spey or Switch line is typically a few sizes higher than a standard line in the same WF weight. The 10'6" 7/8wt Switch I'm having built will be tossing a 360-400gr line. A regular 7wt single hand rod the line should be around 185gr give or take a few.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:11 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Understanding the difference in line designations was the point of my post, I know I'm not always cogent in my rambling. I always appreciate the responses.

I was trying to get across that after learning that all the switch rods called 5 or 6 weights were to my experience (trout fisherman) 7 and 8s is when I got discouraged by the whole switch rod thing.

As I said on my post, its really just a light spey rod at that point. And that isn't what I'm interested in. BUT ... The "3wt" Echo that casts a WF5wt line is exactly what I want. In theory. Thus my inquiry about the specific rod.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:47 AM

The so-called micro spey rods are becoming quite popular. There are lengthy discussions on some of the other spey websites. Here's a neat video:

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
craigthor likes this.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:06 AM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

That's a sweet video!
Old 03-29-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_durden View Post
The so-called micro spey rods are becoming quite popular. There are lengthy discussions on some of the other spey websites. Here's a neat video:

Spey Casting - Micro Skagit SAS, 9' 4/5 Weight Singlehanded Fly Rod Converted to Doublehanded - YouTube

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
I'll have to wait till my daughter is done using up all the bandwidth to watch this, but thanks in advance. I have read some of the discussions on other spey forums, it is were I learned what I know about the different lines and sizes.

But since I don't participate in those forums I thought I'd ask here. Have you formed an opinion on these rods Tyler? I have a lot of respect for Tim Rajeff and I hope the light switch, or micro spey as you call it, that they are selling is a worthy rod and not simply something to fill a niche but doesn't work.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:45 PM

I don't have any of the production rods but I have glass 6, 7, and 9 weight rods with removeable lower grips. They all cast amazingly well. I'm not sure I'd want a really light rod or a long micro-spey because my goal has always been to cast the biggest/heaviest fly with the lightest possible gear using sustained anchor casts. The 6 and 7 weight rods will handle heavyish streamers up to ~4" long tied with materials like bucktail/marabou, etc. The 9 weight will handle even bigger, Gallop style streamers and I honestly haven't yet tied a fly I couldn't cast. I got into the whole spey game because I used to love fishing streamers but hated overhead casting them. I now personally feel that casting a 6" half chicken using a sustained anchor cast is just an enjoyable and aesthetic as casting a #12 Adams with a 4 wt rod.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:20 AM

throwit is on a distinguished road

This rod has me very interested also. My lightest switch is a 5 weight and I can really say I enjoy it. However, I am a skagit casting junkie. I really love the ability to just flip an energized roll 50 feet without having to worry about whats behind me. I think my wife might get the "I NEED" this 3 weight speech soon.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:34 AM

ontheflyguide is on a distinguished road

I have one! It cast the longer 5wt, wf tapers (LTS SX, Delta's and such) well, but honestly, My single handers spey cast as well. The one advantage it has, besides the cool factor, is that it mends way better.
dean_mt likes this.