The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 08:58 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice
Default Re: I'm a two hander now.

I love the looks of the old Hardy's. The Perfect, Marquis and Cascapedia are my favourites.
jaybo41 likes this.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 04-25-2014, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I love the Airflow 'Rage' line, let me know what your thoughts on it are once you start getting a feel for casting the two handed rod. This is a really fun game to play.
jaybo41 and baseman1 like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-25-2014, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseman1 View Post
I love the looks of the old Hardy's. The Perfect, Marquis and Cascapedia are my favourites.
I was trying to save you some money that's all

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-26-2014, 10:26 AM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

So with the Rage head should I use a poly leader?

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Ard I'm selling my paintball gear and softball bats to get a real and some more heads.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can use any type of poly leader with the 'Rage' head. Type and length for various fishing conditions doesn't matter, poly leader can be a floater or a type 6 sinker. As far as length goes....that depends on your casting style, if your prone to pulling your anchor on the set up you may want to use atleast a 10', or if you want a 14', go for it. Just remember this line is designed for smaller to medium sized flies, not big heavy flies, for big & heavy you'd be better off with a full blown Skagit head with tips.

As far as buying a bunch of heads right now. Personally I wouldn't, you need to spend some time getting used to casting the two handed rod with the 'Rage' head(consistency), make sure the grain weight your using now works well with the rod and your casting style first, refine your technique and really get an idea of what you will want for future fishing. An arsenal of heads can get $$$.

Buy a nice reel with the extra cash and go have some fun!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-26-2014, 11:32 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
I love the Airflow 'Rage' line, let me know what your thoughts on it are once you start getting a feel for casting the two handed rod. This is a really fun game to play.
I too am a fan of the Rage. What I like about it is that it's got the mass of a that you typically see with skagit lines and the longer taper that you find on the scandi lines.
fyshstykr and baseman1 like this.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the help so far folks. I imagine there will be more and more questions as the time goes on. My wife is even happy I have a "cheap" hobby. Well that's what she wants to think that's fine with me.
fyshstykr likes this.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Speaking of reels and affordable hobbies.......... I've been thinking that a St. Andrew would be about right on that rod. It's a clicker but a very strong one, there have been plenty of sea trout and salmon brought to a net with one. Just saying
jaybo41 and baseman1 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-26-2014, 05:51 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
As far as buying a bunch of heads right now. Personally I wouldn't, you need to spend some time getting used to casting the two handed rod with the 'Rage' head(consistency), make sure the grain weight your using now works well with the rod and your casting style first, refine your technique and really get an idea of what you will want for future fishing. An arsenal of heads can get $$$.

Buy a nice reel with the extra cash and go have some fun!
I second this.
There is a definite learning curve, certainly beyond what I was expecting and that seems to be a pretty common experience.

You can certainly learn on your own watching videos and doing some serious research.
Skagit Master 1 is an invaluable resource and Ed Ward does a great job teaching in it.
However if you know someone who is a good caster that can teach you it will save some time and possibly prevent some bad habits assuming they really are good casters who don't have bad habits of their own.

If you are looking for a traditional click and prawl reel you might consider these as well Speyco.net

I bought a Skagit from Tim that was made to order. I took a plastic bag and taped it to the rod where the reel would be and then added change until it balanced perfectly where I wanted it to on the upper grip. I then weighed the bag with a postal scale and sent Tim the weight.
The rod is now balanced perfectly which is VERY nice compared to an unbalanced rod like my 6wt that has a Nautilus CCF on it.
fyshstykr, jaybo41 and baseman1 like this.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Speaking of reels and affordable hobbies.......... I've been thinking that a St. Andrew would be about right on that rod. It's a clicker but a very strong one, there have been plenty of sea trout and salmon brought to a net with one. Just saying
Yeah my father in law had one and gave it to his younger brother who lives in Alberta. Would have been nice.