The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 07:00 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm a two hander now.

Tim from Speyco is making some really, really nice reels with a classic look. He's certainly worth consideration, I've heard nothing but the very best of things about Speyco. A small one man operation who seems to be living the dream. I understand he's got technology now that gives his reels a leaded appearance.

Another classic Hardy worth your consideration is St. John, I'd bet it would also probably work well too. St. John is an underrated and overlooked reel with a stout drag for a Hardy click & pawl. They're also very affordable unless you're looking for the Duralumin reels. Those are exceptionally beautiful and very pricy!

This one is probably from the 70's, not that old yet, but a fine fishing reel.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

As for the Rage, give it a try. Give it more than a try, I'm very impressed with the versatility of it. I went to a salmon trip this fall with 3 heads, a Scandi, Skagit and Rage. I started with Rage and didn't see a reason to fish anything else. I was able to handle 8- 10' of T-10 and #4-6 streamers, tubes and intruder style flies tied on shanks without problems. Then again I didn't need to cast 60 feet of line either. It also handled plenty of lead and double nymphs just fine.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Just too add to the list of reels for your consideration.
Olson Custom Fly Reels | Home

I've handled these reels at a tying night at a local Guru's house and was impressed to say the least. He's(Olson) also a local fella. I told Mrs Fysh I'd love one of these as an Anniversary Gift sometime....still waiting.

The only downside I see with these reels is that he's usually atleast a year out. I understand Poppy @ The Red Shed usually has a few in stock.
index
baseman1 likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-26-2014, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Man Jason that's just plain clean & nice. I probably should have one for that short Swift I got last year But then what would I do with the trusted reel that is with that rod now..... I've never owned the St. John so you are right in saying they are overlooked.
jaybo41 and baseman1 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-27-2014, 04:02 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chuckled when I read this: " .... and guys like Fred have been at it even longer."

My first 2hander was actually made of wood and they were called 'Greenhearts.' God were they heavy for a kid. No idea what the reel was but the line was silk and you had a lot of follow up to 'condition' that thing before and after fishing.

Mr. Cole's saw to it I did a good job of that as we sat in the tent at the mouth of the Bella Colla River. He would take (more than a few) 'a wee dram' and I'd have a cup of hot Coco (spell that right?)

Interesting to sit back, and think back, 60 years.

Fred
fyshstykr, jaybo41 and baseman1 like this.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:18 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ard, you really should consider a St. John. They seem to come up often enough and they're affordable considering you're talking about an out of production Hardy classic. The clean, simple design is what initially got me hooked on it but I've come to appreciate the narrow spool and stout drag on it after having fished it. It really growls when you have a fish on!

Look at it this way, it's not that you'll be replacing your go to reel for the Swift, a St. John would give you another place to put a different line or give you some variety
baseman1 likes this.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:56 PM

sclark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
God did I laugh when I read this! Even if you've been doing this for close to 60 years you will get "The whack in the back." Main cause of this is your rod tip is too straight up when you come forward in the cast. Thing needs to be canted off 5-10 degrees off your body.

An upstream wind will also 'take something from the party,' but that's casting practice to get used/over come that bit.
I'm new to spey...really, really new... but one pointer I picked up was to still use an old fly, wet, dry, steamer, or whatever you plan on using once you’re an accomplished 'speyer' because it simulates the proper weight at the end of the line helping to perfect your timing.

You just need to cut the hook of at the end of the straight portion.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:53 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
"Welcome to the Dark Side young Luke Skywalker."

Once you switched you can't switch back. Congrats!
baseman1 likes this.