The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taping my joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseman1 View Post
Now just to remember slow and steady wins the race and I might get through this without too much personal injury.
And remember to always form your 'D' Loop on the downwind side of your body, or you'll be sorry.

As far as tape on my spey rod...yea I've done it before, I used black electrical tape, but last year I started using this product from Loon Outdoors.
Loon Outdoors Products

So far it works like a charm, but go very lightly with it because it works very well. It's still a good idea to check each section every once in a while though.
baseman1 likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Last edited by fyshstykr; 05-01-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:35 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I have the Orvis version of the wax that came with my clearwater. Thanks for the input.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 05-02-2014, 07:00 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Oh,,,you're talking about your fly rod...I was going to suggest an Altoid box.
fyshstykr likes this.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:52 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Taping will help in not watching the tip go off into the distance, I tape all my spey and a few switch rods for safety
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 05-02-2014, 08:13 AM

ejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura about

I just use my wife's canning wax. I was told it's basically the same thing orvis provides with there rods and a lot cheaper. I haven't had any problems with pieces coming loose since I started using it.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:03 AM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

First time out wasn't too bad. I was able to shoot 30' of running line without too much troubles. I could tell however when I messed up. Never got hit by the fly (I cut the hook at the top of the bend) but had some line piles in front of me a few times. I was getting the skagit style cast pretty good and the snap t was working. Thanks for the help so far.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 05-02-2014, 02:43 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

I use tape (electrical) when I'm fishing several days in a row.

I use wax all the time. The first time out with a two-hander the mid section loosened and came apart on a cast with a loud SNAP!
It stressed the female end but I was still able to cast. I eventually had it fixed and learned my lesson.
I've seen this happen with another person's rod as well. You could easily brake a rod this way.
I've also noticed that even when taped the sections can still twist a bit over several days casting.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:57 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

The clear 3m seems to be the tape of choice for most, and for a very good reason ... it works.

That said, with one exception which is a very old Sage 2hander, I think tape (and wax) can give you a false sense of security. I prefer to check my rod connections every half hour or so. One dead on that you've got one loosening up is cast-cast ... perfect ... and then the rod goes dead on a cast.

Money bet you'll find one of your fittings has come loose.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice

I've Spey cast for 30 years and never now tape (or wax). Check your rod connections and your fly regularly. The only time I broke a rod was at a taped section that had worked slack. Just my way anyway.
fyshstykr likes this.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:32 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsell View Post
I just use my wife's canning wax. I was told it's basically the same thing orvis provides with there rods and a lot cheaper. I haven't had any problems with pieces coming loose since I started using it.
If your wife doesn't can garden goodies, what you're looking for is pure paraffin. It's about 2 bucks for a brick, and available in most hardware stores.
baseman1 likes this.