The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 02:17 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice
Default Taping my joints

Hi folks,
I am going to try my new rod out tomorrow morning for the first time and saw on a utube video that they suggested taping the ferruls (sp?). Is this something you would suggest and actively do? Thanks for the help.

John

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 05-01-2014, 02:23 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: Taping my joints

No, I don't and never have taped my joints. I have taped my ankles, though, and this sometimes helps when wading on uneven, rocky stream bottoms.
fredaevans, baseman1 and siege like this.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:35 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Thanks. Even though I am only 32 my knees are that of a 65 YO man with arthritis. Guess I should have laid off the sports growing up.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:43 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

What's life without a few aches and pains, grunts and groans? I wish I could say it gets better but I've been reconstructed and reinforced all over this body...lol.
fredaevans and baseman1 like this.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:49 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

It can be a good idea for longer switch and spey rods. The stronger forces in those longer rods can loosen ferrules more easily, and a loose ferrule can cause all sorts of trouble. I've never bothered to tape the ferrules in my 9' and under trout rods, though. Just make sure they're tight and aligned properly to begin with.
fyshstykr, fredaevans and baseman1 like this.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:56 PM

boomslang is on a distinguished road

I tape my spey rod joints. most of my spey casts are touch and go casts. this generates a lot of torque and any weak connection can either come loose or get damaged if not tightly connected. Even thought the modern rods are built more precisely and may not require taping, I think it is a sound practice. Also, when I tape the rod, the energy transfer is much smoother and efficient. the rod feels like one continuous lever.

anyway, that's what I do....what do I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseman1 View Post
Hi folks,
I am going to try my new rod out tomorrow morning for the first time and saw on a utube video that they suggested taping the ferruls (sp?). Is this something you would suggest and actively do? Thanks for the help.

John
fyshstykr and baseman1 like this.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:14 PM

Thanks folks. I play hockey so have a stack of hockey tape laying around that I may take with me. I will also be waxing the joints before hand. Now just to remember slow and steady wins the race and I might get through this without too much personal injury.
mcnerney and mridenour like this.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:27 PM

matthew l is on a distinguished road

When it gets to Fall and early winter I am on the water a lot so I keep my rods taped. It also it makes for a quick morning to just slap them on the rack and down the road I go. If I do not have them taped I make sure I check them a few times during the day. Never had one snap so I guess it does not hurt to check and make sure they are snug
Old 05-01-2014, 03:34 PM

boomslang is on a distinguished road

Hockey tapes are great but I would caution you against using them on spey rods. They may leave a lot of sticky residue on the rod joints. And these sticky residue catches a lot of dirt over time. Also, they may actually be too adhesive and damage the epoxy on the joints. I use 3M tapes that leaves almost no sticky residue on the rod. Also, they never damage my rod/epoxy.

hope this helps.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseman1 View Post
Thanks folks. I play hockey so have a stack of hockey tape laying around that I may take with me. I will also be waxing the joints before hand. Now just to remember slow and steady wins the race and I might get through this without too much personal injury.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:53 PM

Good to know. Someone should come out with a rod tape and make millions selling the product as "Rod Friendly".