The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 04:54 PM

sclark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Setting up a spey rod and reel

Thanks Fred, Tyler, and Steve for the comments. As a follow up:

I had my lesson with Jeff Putman the other day and I was quite happy with his method of introduction into spey casting. We worked through basic “D” loop then into a single spey cast, followed that double spey, snap “T” and direction change.

He gave me an excellent foundation for setting up my “D” loop, anchor point, anchor point shape, and key ‘eye point triggers’ for timing and moving from each phase of the cast to the next. He answered my questions, and continually reinforced the key points of the cast, then did an excellent summary.

Jeff brought different weight lines for me to try and we settled on a Rio Scandi Shooting Head 450gr 34ft. Back at the fly shop (Kiene’s) I picked Rio shooting line .035. Though this may be considered ideally better suited for a 575gr head it felt better in my fingers for retrieval.

For the river area here, on Jeff’s suggestion, I also pickup three Rio Spey VersiLeaders in a Float, 3.9 IPS, and a 7.0 IPS 24lb. to complete the setup. Jeff also had called Kiene’s to assure I got the right shooting head and weight. My thank’s to Jeff and Kiene’s!

Steve
fyshstykr, fredaevans and baseman1 like this.

Last edited by sclark; 06-13-2014 at 12:54 AM. Reason: forgot Tyler!
Old 06-14-2014, 09:49 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up a spey rod and reel

Excellent Read.

The first thing I 'judge' instructors is by the amount of different equipment they bring to the teaching party. I've long since learned that 'one size does not fit all.' Run a fellow (or gal) through 4 or 5 rods/line/configurations and the 'winner(s)' will quickly pop to the top.

Seen far too many 'instructors' stuff a 9-11 15 foot/weight rod into a 'newbies' hands and all I could do was roll my eyes. There's been a few times where class over and 'he' gets into his car and drives off leaving one totally bewildered guy standing in the river doing a total fumble. Unfortunate part is, in most cases, they'd already purchased the rod that some fly shop wanted to 'dump' ...........

"If you don't mind may I offer a few suggestions and some other rods for you to try?" Can only think of one time where the answer was 'no.' I think seeing 4 to 6 spey's on the Jeeps rod rack was pretty convincing I just might know a thing or two about 'these things.' "Let's put your rod aside and have you try a few of mine" sort of thing.

Longest it ever took (one major exception .. he just wasn't cut out for 2handers) was 30'ish minutes and GAD ZOOKS! No, the rods weren't for sale.

But the end game was match 'The Man' with the appropriate equipment for his skill level (not to mention the fish/fishing conditions) and rest is pretty easy.

Fun stuff!

fae