The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2014, 09:54 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Question Have we passed the 'point of no return' with custom build 2handers?

A specific rod I wanted, from a specific builder (his equipment is excellent) but the starting price for a 3 wt was $1,750for a 'plastic' fly rod. And that was for a minimum build, wanted 'bling' the price went up from there.

Now I can see the $700-$850 price range depending upon the rod but when there are so many really good 'low end' excellent equipment on the market is this a 'gotta have' vs just a good fishing tool?

Type here, scratch my head, and look at options.

fae
wannafish and eastfly66 like this.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:11 AM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all
Default Re: Have we passed the 'point of no return' with custom build 2handers?

I had the gotta have moment when I ordered the custom switch rod when I actually knew that I could only use it for practice and not to fish it during this No fishing sabbatical year. That time I had the "lower end" Sage one and the prospector in my short list. Although the custom switch rod is excellent it was a gotta have one and kinda regretted it.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:21 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Hi Fred I don't think we are past The Point of no return as someone always seems to pull another Rabbit out of The Hat as we all notice when a new product comes onto the Scene it's always expensive in the first instances.
The Price Gradually drops then magic happens,someone brings out a New You - Beaut item which is claimed to be better than anything since Sliced Bread which is really only a Sales Gimmic & of course there's a higher Price Tag.
Brian
Old 06-15-2014, 06:56 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

So hear you Brian. My 'problem' is I cast one of the new/best ever and for the most part I can't tell zip how this rod is much of an improvement over what it replaced.

Fred
wannafish likes this.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:59 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I just love how the really great rods are available at a steal of a price when the new models come out! I'm glad there are people out there that can afford to buy the newest versions so they can let me know which ones to buy when the price drops lol
Old 06-15-2014, 04:51 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Fred, what builder/maker is asking $1750 for a graphite 2 hander? Does he roll his own or buy a blank? That seems way high, but I'm not that knowledgeable in 2 handers. Components hand made?
Old 06-15-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Fred, what builder/maker is asking $1750 for a graphite 2 hander? Does he roll his own or buy a blank? That seems way high, but I'm not that knowledgeable in 2 handers. Components hand made?
A bit of Google will answer your first question, and yes and no to the second. Hand made strongly doubt it but the 'stuff' is top line.

As to 'who' I'll back away from publicly answering that question save for there's darned few in these high end rods. Lower priced rods (1handers) there's quite a few that build from the ground up.

fae
Old 08-07-2014, 12:42 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

This topic always interests me. To be honest I feel that it makes the most sense to purchase a C.F. Burkheimer or R.B. Mieser Spey rod, paying between $800-$900, you know your getting that custom build and wonderfully progressive deep flexing DH rod that throws rising loops for scandi's and launches skagit like a dream. It seems "mainstream" companies like Sage, Loomis and Winston are one step behind them, but still provide a product that gets the job done well. What's a guy to do? I dunno, but one things for sure my burkie's and sage DH put a smile on my face every swing.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:26 PM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

"How much did you say.... ?"

"$1750.00...."

" O.K. , Thank you and you have a nice day now ..."

CLICK
Old 08-07-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
"How much did you say.... ?"

"$1750.00...."

" O.K. , Thank you and you have a nice day now ..."

CLICK
That's pretty much how the conversation started/ended.

fae
eastfly66 likes this.