The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 09:45 AM

mdogs444 is on a distinguished road
Default G. Loomis NRX 8/9 Spey

Does anyone have experience with this rod and what skagit grain they have had success with? I know the manufacturer says 550gn skagit, but I have to assume that tossing 10-15ft of T11 or T14 plug weighted intruders or tubes is going to require something a little heftier...maybe a 600 skagit flight?
Old 07-15-2014, 07:04 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice
Default Re: G. Loomis NRX 8/9 Spey

I have this rod (got it on a crazy clear-out price from Cabela's) and used it for the first time last year swinging for steelhead in BC. I used a 550 gr. Rio Skagit Flight and it was fine. I use medium MOW tips and it likes those just fine, even the 10 ft. full sink tip.

My first double-handed rod was a TFO Deer Creek 7/8, which I also like and is a fine rod. I've used both a 500 gr. and 550 gr. Flight on that, along with the medium MOWs. The NRX casts more crisply, in my opinion.

Scott
Old 07-15-2014, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

The skagit 550 head with that rod will turn over a pretty good amount of weight, that's what the skagit is designed to do, turn over long heavy sink tips and big bugs. Remember that with the heavy sinking tip that you won't need extra weight in the fly, instead concentrate on having flies with movement in the materials instead of mass\bulk and extra weight.

I'd give the 550 a good try 1st before buying another head, if you like the way everything works together buy a Scandi for smaller and lighter flies.

Enjoy the Spey journey.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 07-16-2014, 07:53 AM

Thanks guys! I bought the rod - but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'm heading up to the Dean in 3 weeks and just trying to figure out what heads to take. I have everything from 350 thru 625 in 25gr increments.

Since i live in NE Ohio, I use a Scott 11'6" 7wt or a Sage TCX 12'6" 7wt. I'm bringing the Sage as a backup rod, so I figured I'd take 4 heads - 525 to 600, and can adjust if needed.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2014, 07:52 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

Oh man, I dream of fishing the Dean. Please post a trip report when you return, and let us know how you make out with the NRX.

Scott
Old 07-17-2014, 07:41 AM

I most definitely will. I plan on taking tons of pictures, so I may have to do an entire thread of it