The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2015, 02:53 PM

troutclout11 is on a distinguished road
Question Ideal Switch Rod for Trout

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good switch rod that I can use to chuck indicator rigs and medium-sized streamers to 10-25 inch browns, and maybe the occasional steelhead, though that would be only like once or twice a year and probably wouldn't catch one anyway. The main targeted species is brown trout.

I want to know what's a good switch rod in the budget realm for this kind of fishing, and what rod weight I should get, and the line to use. (I've read lots of reviews about TFO, Echo, and other more inexpensive setups, but I still don't know what rod weight to get). I'm torn between a 5 wt or a 6wt. I don't think I'll need a 7, as the fish aren't that big around me. I actually think a 6wt might even be overkill, but I've heard that the 6wt is needed for throwing out sink tips and bigger flies (streamers).

Any suggestions? I can't afford the high-end ones like the Sage One, but all other suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Also, what reel would be good with the suggested rod?
Old 01-04-2015, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Ideal Switch Rod for Trout

Hi,

I moved your post here to the Spey / Switch forum where it will draw a hit from our Switch fellas. Welcome to the forum, I hope you'll stick around with us. You can find some help here with understanding the whole Spey / Switch concept without too much hair splitting. I'll let the members fill you in on rods because my ideas tend to be a little out of the mainstream

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-04-2015, 03:21 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forum. I am new to two handers myself. You'll get some feedback here eventually. If you want some education in the meantime, I would suggest a youtube search for Echo Switch rods. Reds Fly Shop and Tim Rajeff (Echo Owner) have some good entry level videos on the subject. TFO Deercreek will also gets some good entry level two hand vids.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:50 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum.

I own a 6wt switch and can tell you that it is way too much rod for a 10 inch fish, perhaps the rod itself has something to do with that. I use this rod to fish for Great Lakes Steelies and unless I run into a really hot fish, I feel that it's got what's needed to handle those fish. The average size fish I am targeting is around 24-26 inches and 4-6 lbs. I have Rio Switch line, which has a long belly, and Switch Chucker on another reel. The Switch line is the most versatile of the two lines, I can drift nymphs really well and also put a short tip(3'-5') of T-8 on it and it will allow me to swing flies OK. Chucker handles tips better, but isn't as great drifting nymphs.

I'd guess you'd want something in the 4/5 range would be just right. I'm not sure how large of a fly and how much weight you're talking about throwing, but you could play with length or the weight of T-tips until you get it right or try some poly leaders. Then there's the line to deal with, will you be strictly stringing streamers or would you be using it to nymph, swing wets or even dries? I think if you get a good longer bellied line it may be more versatile and allow you to handle tips. You could also go the route of having a custom cut line made for it, Steve Godshall has been given extremely high praise for his work with lines.

Beulah makes a really nice switch rod for the money, I believe the Classic Series is being closed out, so you may find one of those on sale if you look around.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:58 PM

eastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to all

Not a switch ( switch is just a short 2 hander or a SH with a handle) I got a 5 wt vxp 5120 2 hander for trout there is also a new Echo fiberglass 2 hander micro spey coming out in 3/4 wt takes a 180 grain scandi , good price 240.

the vxp are still around on close out.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:03 PM

Thanks for your responses. I'd heard that a 6wt switch is really more on par with a 7 or 8 weight single-hand rod, which is why I was leaning more towards a 5wt or even 4wt switch. I was really looking into a switch rod so that I can use some two handed casts to reach out farther, but maybe just a higher quality single-handed rod would accomplish that same purpose, though I'm not sure they could handle the sink tips and big streamers as easily as a switch might. I usually don't fish huge water like is common in Steelhead country, but I do fish some medium to larger rivers like the Delaware at times and I can only cast a streamer like maybe 30 feet, which just isn't far enough for that water. It seems like some of the spey-style or switch casts that a switch rod is capable of will get my streamer out there farther for strip-in retrieves and swinging.

To answer another question, I want a versatile stick that I can use for nymph rigs with an indicator, streamers (I'm not too familiar with hook size, but 3-4 inch streamers and an occasional larger bunny), and maybe even dry flies, though it seems like a switch rod is not really ideal for that. If I could get a rod that can throw nymph rigs and streamers 60 feet (or more), that would be adequate for my purposes. I also want to feel the fish though. The Delaware has some big browns, but mostly they are 12-20 inch, etc.

Maybe I should try the TFO Deer Creek in a 5wt with a 5 or 6 wt line (sorry, I don't really know grain weights that well yet). I've heard good things about that rod and the Echo, but it seems the packages that come on Red's Fly Shop and others come with an economy reel that will eventually just have to be replaced. What reel do you guys think will balance well with a 5wt switch in the 11ft range?
Old 01-04-2015, 05:21 PM

eastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to all

I don't think you should be making the WT. the deciding factor , you should be looking at the recommended grain wt. for the line instead. I would PM one of the 2 hand guru's here. If you think it is confusing now , wait til you see all the gain windows and lines avail
Old 01-04-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
I don't think you should be making the WT. the deciding factor , you should be looking at the recommended grain wt. for the line instead. I would PM one of the 2 hand guru's here. If you think it is confusing now , wait til you see all the gain windows and lines avail
Ok, then let me ask you this. What grain weight line would you recommend for throwing nymph rigs or sink tips with 3-4 streamers to medium-sized trout?
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:12 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I'm a guru, but I need clarification. Is that 3-4 streamers rigged on one line or size 4 streamers?
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutclout11 View Post
Ok, then let me ask you this. What grain weight line would you recommend for throwing nymph rigs or sink tips with 3-4 streamers to medium-sized trout?
I am the same as Jaybo. I can tell you this Fkrow here is a 2 hander expert and he and his fishing buddy Jerry use a #5 with I believe a 310 grain scandi for smallie and trout out east here. Fkrow indicated there are few true micro spey on the market in mass production of any quality. He did recommend the Echo I mentioned ( I have ordered one) . I am using my vxp 5120 with a 310 and throwing buggers and leaches 8-12 with a poly sink tip to trout in your range. I am targeting the big browns 20"+ in the spring.

I cannot help with confidence on the relationship regarding grain window to the size fly , we need the experienced guys to chime in here
sorry but that is all I got at this point.