The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk!

Spey Rods and Switch Rods - Fly Fishing Tackle Talk! Discuss all the latest Spey and Switch fly rods and double handed fly fishing rods here.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 9iron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2015, 08:14 AM

1spd1way is on a distinguished road
Default Spey/switch info overload

I am sitting on the outside looking in. About to jump in, but after reading and watching the suggested sites, I am still not clear. ( I wanted to say, "I'm still a doofus.")

My intended rivers are 30-65 ft wide, my intended fish are smallmouth bass and trout in the 12-24 inch range. Zoo cougars, conehead muddlers etc. will be the flyies of choice as well as big dry flies.
Some limited backcast range, but the toughest problem I have is a 28 in inseam and an overall towering height of 5'3".

So, switch or spey. 5-6 wt or 7-8 wt.?
Old 01-18-2015, 09:33 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spey/switch info overload

Switch, a 5 or 6 is a coin flip for those fish. Properly lined you can toss a lot of line/leader off a 11-12 foot rod. Word of Caution: Don't get carried away with how long a leader, 9' is quite enough in all but exceptional fishing conditions.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:42 PM

9iron has a spectacular aura about9iron has a spectacular aura about

Some limited backcast range, 30-60 feet across, throwing streamers, modest fish, don't need to throw heavy sinking stuff.

I would suggest you forego the switch rod notion and get a short spey rod. What's the difference? Full sized grips made for 2 handed casting. It doesn't matter how short the rod is, if you're going to perform a lot of anchored casts (limited backcast room) you may as well use a rod designed for it. Switch rods tend to have upper grips close to the same size as you find on single hand rods and the lower grips are just stubbs. These put your hands too close together for good form and comfort when performing spey casts all day long (regardless of your physical stature). You want a nice long upper grip and a lower grip that you can get your whole hand on comfortably.

Given the size of your water and the flies you say you're modt likely to use, I'd go with a rod that's roughly 12 feet (+/-) and rated 4 to 5 (spey rating, so you'll be throwing what would be 6-8 weight in single hand lines).

If it were me, I'd jump all over an Airflo Rage head. A modest reel with running line and this head, you can throw a nice long mono leader and also add sinking polyleaders if need be. The Rage head will punch those bushy streamers out there and still act like a well behaved spey line. With the sinking polys you can easily throw some weighted streamers. A short spey rod will handle the Rage head no problem.

Your physical stature shouldn't give you issues. I may be 6'3" but I can cast a 16 foot Bruce and Walker with no problem, so you should easily be able to handle any 12-13 foot rod.

I don't know what your budget is, but if you're looking at an entry level rod that actually casts well at a good price I'd look at the Echo lineup. They have some 12 foot (+/-) 4's and 5's, and even a 12' 6 weight fiberglass rod, which would be a hoot on your smaller waters and targeting the fish you mentioned. I'd imagine those new glass spey rods would make the learning curve easier than a faster rod too, as you can feel everything that's going on, and you won't have the spectre of trying to boom out 70 footers looming over you (since your river isn't that big).
fyshstykr and blackbugger like this.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:08 AM

1spd1way is on a distinguished road

The challenge when wading for me is "going under." Each time, the 6 footers I fish with have to stop fishing because they are laughing to much.
Thanks for the replies.