The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Stillwater Fly Fishing

Stillwater Fly Fishing Discuss stillwater techniques, patterns used, ask questions, get answers on the best way to fish stillwaters

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 08:47 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default NFO Drifter

I have always wanted a Drift Boat but storage is a pain. We had a 14' Aluminum which I just sold.
With that money, I bought the NFO Drifter. It is 14' long with the drop stitch floor like a SUP. It weighs around 89 lbs so two people can carry this.
We got to use it this last weekend in Idaho. It was shallow and slow moving water but we got the feel for this boat. We skated over 2" of water. I got to row and I absolutely love it.
We are hooked! want to take baby steps however, so it will be the easier waters to get started. I am dying to float the Green.
We did have one day float while in Idaho that brought back the old Harley days. Total down pour with marble sized hail! Baxter hid under a PFD, but there was an inch of water in the boat from all the rain (self bailing when the sun came out)
I truly feel I have been missing out on a wonderful aspect of fishing. I just wish we had more big rivers closer.
OH, did I mention, this whole boat fit in the back of my Grand Vitara!
Click the image to open in full size.

Plus there is a Frame in the works similar to the Dragonfly XT
mcnerney, Bigfly, markg52 and 1 others like this.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:20 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: NFO Drifter

nice pics, glad you like the boat
Old 06-27-2014, 09:34 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Looks like a fun option. Is it as stable to stand in as it looks?

Possible down-side is that it might be hard to control in wind because it rides so high in the water. But then if it's real windy, you probably aren't fly fishing anyway.

Thanks for sharing photos!
Old 06-27-2014, 09:41 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Very comfortable and easy to stand. Room for slight changes which i am sure the frame will address. Like, a little higher row seat for hubby. Front seat would be nice a little higher, and a little standing support.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
Looks like a fun option. Is it as stable to stand in as it looks?

Possible down-side is that it might be hard to control in wind because it rides so high in the water. But then if it's real windy, you probably aren't fly fishing anyway.

Thanks for sharing photos!

It was very windy the day of the storm. This tracked very well. Literally sitting on top the water. As for stable, we both sat on the same side and the boat barely tilted. Very stable. Four air chambers on top, and the the heavy duty floor. Very buoyant.
Have not tried it on stillwater, but I am sure we will. Plus it will accept the NFO motor mount.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:30 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

The boat has a self bailing floor in it. The floor insert is dropstiched like Joni said and it's 6" thick. You pump the main boat up halfway, put the floor in, inflate it to 10 lb. then finish pumping the boat to 3 lbs. Now the floor is swedged in tight. It's very stable......
Super easy to row to.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:46 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

About how long did it take to inflate?

Looks interesting.

CAB
Old 06-27-2014, 10:53 PM

I bought the 2 stage pump also and with it the hole boat (all four chambers and the floor) takes about 5 minutes. But even our little LVM pumped it up, we just had to top it off by hand.
mcnerney and jpbfly like this.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:56 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Sounds Quick! This rig looks like something to keep in mind.

Hmmmmm..............

Thanks for the Info,
CAB
Old 06-28-2014, 02:03 PM

It could haul four or five easy. But, our friends bought the Dragonfly XT which is the smaller version and a 2 person with possibility of more children.
Funny, I hated our Aluminum boat but I am so excited out this one. We have a nice Minn Kota 55 Maximizer I can't wait to try.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great boat....looks like you got a good oarsman